Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dangers of LEP flashlights?

1Lumen

I was wondering if there is any information on the (possible) danger of LEP flashlights. ( Laser exciting phosphor)

Does anyone have any information about their safety?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

There is one very obvious danger.

I do own one and must say it's a very bright narrow beam. Obviously looking directly into the beam would be a silly idea. Do people really need to be told not to look directly at the Sun ?

As far as I know there are no laser emissions so that is not an issue.

1Lumen

:D Just askingto see if anybody has tested it for something. How much can it hurt/damage if pointed into somebody's eye for a few miliseconds for example. (like reflecting it accidentally on a shiny/reflecting/mirror object)

Encap

:D Just askingto see if anybody has tested it for something. How much can it hurt/damage if pointed into somebody's eye for a few miliseconds for example. (like reflecting it accidentally on a shiny/reflecting/mirror object)

Ask the manufacturer---it has to have warnings about same to sell in USA per FDA regulations. Look at the notice here: http://www.acebeam.com/w10-gen-2

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Petersoft

I was wondering if there is any information on the (possible) danger of LEP flashlights. ( Laser exciting phosphor)

Does anyone have any information about their safety?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
these flashlights have a very high energy density, so shining someone with such a flashlight in the eye, especially at night, when the pupils in the eyes are large can cause damage to the eyesight.

Hmmm....SO....See here...https://www.brightfocus.org/macular/article/are-bright-lights-damaging-eye

I am skeptical that a brief, momentary exposure to the LEP beam would cause any permanent Retinal damage.....although I believe the LEP energy density does exceed that of the Sun...will do some surfing....CDBeam

The danger roughly depends on the intensity of the emitter. 10 watts of light from a 1cm² patch would be relatively harmless, but from a 1mm² patch - you're looking at "staring into the sun" levels of danger or higher.

In short, the danger is somewhere between LED and laser... but closer to the LED side

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Just use common sense. Any intense light can cause damage to your eyeballs. Ever had someone shine a bright torch at you? Obviously the higher the power density the higher the chance of damage. LEP’s have a tighter beam than LED torches so will have a higher power density. But will be nowhere near the power density of a laser.

18LJ

Dangerous, most likely not. Capable of causing serious injury if reckless irresponsible misuse occurs? Almost certainly yes. They use the same phosphor tech. in headlights on most newer luxury vehicle. So the technology is safe enough to have passed scrutiny from multiple automotive safety review groups. Id say a measure of caution with a small dose of common sense is all thats needed to operate a lep without anyone sustaining any injuries.

SO....Luminous Intensity of a Laser Aftermarket conversion to LEP unit in an Automotive application:
【3000M LRRADIATION DISTANCE】The Central luminous intensity of high energy laser excitation fluorescence crystal is 735/mm2

Will research the L/MM2 for one of the new LEP Flashlights !!!....

CDBeam

Last edited:
Not finding the Flashlight LEP Energy Density metric yet !!!

These LEP HH units are sold with warnings.....as to insulate the manufacture from liability.

Common sense would dictate one does not stare down the barrel of an LEP HH...but then....At the very edge of the Bell Curve....Common Sense approaches a big fat zero !!! ERrrr....AH....Warning....Do not insert your tongue into a energized Light Socket HAHAHAHA...DUH !!!

I would agree with Cypr.....at typical working distances....the LEP HH has greater ED than a LED HH.....but is close !!. I assume L/mm2 is a function of distance from source ~ target

I would also make the Q Leap that if it is deemed " Market Safe" for Auto Headlights....is is safe in an LEP HH application !! Just do not stare down the barrel...or eat the unit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDBeam

Last edited: