Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Damn... I fried anotheR!!

yes8s

So I received my aixiz modules today and started working on making a LD burner (my first working one). I have already fried :-X an LD from a previous attempt by being reckless - so this time I was being extremely careful harvesting and constructing this one.

Both LD's were out of a pioneer 112D 18x DVDRW (Open Can).

I slowly cut it out of it's heatsink and mounted it straight away in the aixiz module. Then I soldered the reverse protection diode and filter cap together and also soldered two wires and then quickly tacked them to the LD pins.

I connected this up to daedels circuit on a breadboard and turned on power and i saw :-[ :-[ LED not LD.

Why?!?!?!?!?!? :mad: I was very cautious. Can these diodes really be that sensitive??

The voltage drop across the diode is ~2.2v but the current is only <100mA ( when the circuit is configured to drive it +200mA ) and it slowly drops. Is this usually what happens with the damaged LD's.

That's $75 down the drain. Guess I'll buy like 5 GB LD's.... :eek: I'm bound to get one of them to work :)

maybe you are not hitting the lasing threshold or you are killing them during soldering.

My diodes don't die so easily. Maybe yours are not dead. Did you try collimating the beam?

LarryQ

Did you make sure to discharge the Cap prior to soldering???
Ground the 2 legs of the Cap together before touching the LD.

If you had used the cap in another circuit it may have had enough of a charge in it that the moment it touched the LD..it dumped all the voltage into it.

I recently killed a 5 Mw red by doing that...tho it wasn't an LED...it was an open circuit!

Also...static can bite you as well....

I feel your pain....I've made more than my fair share of LEDs out of open can diodes!

BTW...both 2.2 volts and <100 mw sound way too low to make that diode start to lase.

Assuming you used Daedal's circuit...what resistors are you using??..and what battery source?

Maybe it's not time to throw in the towel on that diode yet!

LarryQ

Don't give up on it yet!

Anyway I smashed my aixiz/dx housing 5mW LD trying to get it out. I swear they used some sort of super epoxy. I had to hammer it really really hard to pop it out. even then I manage to smash the front half of the diode and it was still stuck in the housing.

But that said the diode is pretty tough. After having the whole front half banged up it still lased pretty well. But I got pissed and went WTH it's a 5mW and smashed it out with my hammer.

yes8s

Cap was taken from a circuit which hasn't been powered for 5 years. So cap ok.

3.9R series 100R pot.

I just soldered two wires onto the IR diode and tested it. It works with the circuit. If i set the current to 200mA and connect the IR diode... The current stays at 200mA and V=2.15V.

Source is 4xAA = 6V ~ plenty

xarylx said:
maybe you are not hitting the lasing threshold or you are killing them during soldering.

My diodes don't die so easily. Maybe yours are not dead. Did you try collimating the beam?

I held the iron on the IR pin for like 3-4 seconds @ 350degC...And connected it direct to 6V for 20 secs and it still works. :eek: Is it an open can thing...cursed LD's

Strange :eek: I'm an Electronic Engineer and I've worked with RF IC's less sensitive than these LD's

I think you need 2.5V to lase well. Up the voltage and you might get more lasing.

The rest of what you have sounds good to go.

Not sure about open can diodes but they are supposed to be able to take more current and heat?

Benm

Check your driver, it should provide more than 100 mA i think! See what happens if you give it 150 mA, resulting votage shoud be a bit over 2.5 for the usual LD.

actually hows your soldering skills firstly?
and also what type of soldering tip are you using, try use the flat side of the soldering iron and be very careful they are very careful.
Maybe we should have a sticky on tips on soldering.

yes8s

Ok.. I tried a few different things. Firstly, voltage across the LD is >2.5V not 2.2v - I measured it wrong before. I changed the supply to a pretty fresh 9 volta. The current through the diode went up abit to 150mA but Vref of the LM317 dropped to 1V. But with the IR LD in the exact same setup the circuit behaves as expected.

Also, I can sort of collimate the beam but its extremely dim - much less than the OG 5mw... Is this possible if the LD had turned into an LED?

Anyway, it very late here gonna go to bed...Try something else tomorrow

Gazoo

I received my 112D's today...all I can say is wish me luck.. :p This will be the first time I have worked with these drives.

LarryQ

Hey Gazoo...

Since so many people have read about these being the easiest to harvest..
You might want to photo document the harvest!!

That will give everyone an idea what is entailed...or if there are other drives even easier to harvest...

Just a thought..but that info could come in handy...

Oooopppss...I think this qualifies as a Hijack...SRY!!!!! :-[

We now return you to your regularly scheduled OP Topic!!! ;D

Larry

That is a good idea, but yeah another topic would be ideal.

Sorry to hear about your diode problems yes8s, I have been lucky so far I have one LD and I haven't killed it. i'm sure I will it's just a matter of time but for now I count myself lucky.

I have killed two open cans so far.. I keep hearing how great they are for lasing, but I'm tired of wasting dvd drives.. So I just got 5 of sen-kat's GB diodes. Once I have gone through these i might take another crack at harvesting an open can.

-mrb

Gazoo

Or wait until Daedal is finished testing the phaser diodes... ;D

Larry,

My camera sucks, but my first harvest out of this drive was successful! I didn't even have to remove the laser/optics assembly from the slides to remove the diode/heatsink assembly.

To all:

Once I removed the heatsink and diode, the first item of business was to remove the mylar. A quick hit with my soldering iron while lifting the mylar with a needle nose did the trick...it came right off.

Then I squeezed down on the chip mount to get the diode loose. This is the center of the chips heatsink where it is the thickest. I DO NOT recommend doing this however. There is too big a risk of slipping and damaging the internals of the diode.

Parts of the heatsink the diode is mounted in is very thin. So I would recommend putting the heatsink/diode assembly in a vice with the diode upside down. and file away at the thin parts until it is free.

I tried using a diagonal cutters to cut at the heatsink, but it will not work very well as the heatsink is too long where it sits parallel with the diode.

I sure do with there was an easier way...but unless someone can find out who manufacturers these, and a distributer for a possible GB, we are stuck having to harvest burners for open cans.

At this point I would wait for the results of Daedal's testing of the phaser diodes before running out and buying more burners. Or buy SenKat's diodes, they are powerful, not as powerful as the open cans but a heck of a lot cheaper and worry free.. ;D

As far as if the phaser diodes will be more powerful than the open cans, I would think so. Let's wait and see.

Gazoo

Between burnouts, faulty harvesting and stupid mistakes, I am up to 14...so I am catching up t you.. ;D