Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Damaged Focus/Collimating Lens

Guitarship1

I have an Amazon Special, Dinsom brand blue laser. It has an adjustable lens in a brass holder that screws into the crown of the laser. It has somehow become damaged, would someone be kind enough to point to a suitable replacement, Pictures if need be. Thanks.

Guitarship1

There is the laser, The crown is removeable and the lens in threaded into the crown. No idea what damaged it..
71YG3LsrB9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg20230909_015656.jpg

Hi,
Go on eBay and get a new lens I dont know what he threading is on these ,

I Can send you a plastic lens to try to determine the thread size. If it fits do not use it in your laser it will melt. The you can go on eBay and order a lens of M9x0.5 thread. I need your name and address to send the lens.
Rich:)

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Your old lens looks like it was killed by the laser beam itself. A plastic lens will just melt at the power we're putting through them. Glass lenses can crack or shatter if they have dust or other contamination on them.

Guitarship1

It looks like this one, but ehh.... could be, looks like it's wideband AR coated glass so I expect it will work as long as the threads are correct, some use 8mm and some 9mm usually 0.5 pitch.

Let me get some calipers and a thread pitch gauge and go from there.

Guitarship1

Your old lens looks like it was killed by the laser beam itself. A plastic lens will just melt at the power we're putting through them. Glass lenses can crack or shatter if they have dust or other contamination on them.
Its funny cause it worked the last time I used it, and then the next time, all messed up. I dont usually run for a long period of time. Shrug, who knows ;)

Guitarship1

I found an Amazon replacement lens. Optically it works fine. Mechanically its a bit too long. I thought the threads in the crown were tapped all the way through, but they are only partially tapped, and the lens bottoms out. With the laser completely screwed together, it wont really achieve much focus. Unscrewing the crown to lengthen the crown will achieve focus, but the machining on the threads isn't that great and it wobbles around abit. The two halves of the body unscrew and it will lengthen the laser, moving the lens away from the diode and focus that way. Still a little bit wobbly but I think another O-ring will take up some of the slack.