Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cutting laser and glass...

lol I took a piece of acrylic just now and drew shapes on my desk with a 445.

I dont see why it would not work,

Some ABS is high temp and it may smoke but wont cut other cheap plastic will cut like I took a hot wire to it.

wood burns like you are draging a soildering iron over it, wont cut far into it but leaves a nice burn trail.

strik3

im not saying it will not work. what im saying is that the power of the laser correlates to the speed that you will need to move it.
eg. a lower power laser will need to move slower than a higher powered laser to get the same depth. and with kids being kids. they will most likely move the pen fairly fast. thus making it pretty innefective

These hobbiest lasers, even those "2W lasers" are really pitiful when it comes to burning. Yeah pop a balloon at 50 feet, or cut electrical tape, but beyond that they don't have much burning or cutting capability. You'll burn stuff quicker with an overhead projector's Fresnel lens and the Sun than these hand-held lasers.

Maybe instead you could just hook up a Dremel to an arm and carve it out, or a heated wire or something that really can cut things.

These hobbiest lasers, even those "2W lasers" are really pitiful when it comes to burning. Yeah pop a balloon at 50 feet, or cut electrical tape, but beyond that they don't have much burning or cutting capability. You'll burn stuff quicker with an overhead projector's Fresnel lens and the Sun than these hand-held lasers.

Maybe instead you could just hook up a Dremel to an arm and carve it out, or a heated wire or something that really can cut things.

yes but you cant bring the sun inside, I smoke with my lasers :p so with the right optics you could use 2 or 3 diodes and that would be more than you would need to carve a wooden coin, imho

Also I would use IR not 445 I was just observing I can burn wood though acrylic with a lowly 1.45w 445

I would think a pigtail IR laser would be the best bet though for drawing anyway.

Last edited: