Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Customs & my address

Kaiden57

So this seems the most appropriate place for this thread so here goes. I've looked around a little but I'm not sure how to phrase my search when looking so here it is. I'm not familiar with importing and customs laws and all that goes with it, so I begin to wonder: If I'm ordering lasers from out of country regularly and of varying power (<50mW to 7W) should I be concerned about customs flagging my address? I've had no problems as of yet but i would like to think ahead and/or slowing down between orders before continuing to grow my collection if this could become a problem for me. What could the possible repercussions be? I, like many others, have no "real reason" for owning any lasers aside from the spectacle of them and the occasional burn. I just want to be as safe and as responsible as I can be so any info is greatly appreciated.

First of all I don't know what country you are in, so I cannot give you advice on customs. Usually, people don't become the focus of the government when importing lasers. At least in the US. I have never heard of any lab laser being prohibited anywhere in the world, though pointers are restricted in many countries as far as sales go. That is why many people buy their pointers from outside their country if they are unable to build one for themselves.

Kaiden57

First of all I don't know what country you are in, so I cannot give you advice on customs. Usually, people don't become the focus of the government when importing lasers. At least in the US. I have never heard of any lab laser being prohibited anywhere in the world, though pointers are restricted in many countries as far as sales go. That is why many people buy their pointers from outside their country if they are unable to build one for themselves.
I guess I should have mentioned I'm in the US. I was just unsure if that kind of thing happened to a lot of people so I wanted to get an idea of what could happen. As far as lab lasers go I believe I will be sticking to collecting handhelds for the time being. I appreciate your input and any other info you may think of.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know of anyone who ever got into any trouble trying to import a handheld laser into the US. At worst you might not receive it if it gets looked at and can be determined to be a laser and is of high output power. Most sellers don't even call them lasers. They are called flashlights or light emitting diode hosts. Unless it comes with a battery in it they really can't tell what it is.

Kaiden57

Well I feel more comfortable ordering after reading that, that's for sure. I'll have to start watching what gets put on the package label.

Kinda important was the advice from Paul-even if the seller offers free batts be sure to ask them to keep and NOT send.. they will very likely be super cheap anyway and the last thing you want is your laser empowered & in the hands of someone who know nothing about laser safety etc.
also in USA Li-ion batts are on the 'no ship list' but not lasers..

The only time I ever had customs Seize a laser was when I was importing a Torch into Australia.

I had customs Seize a Red LED torch used for astronomy. They claimed it was a laser. After phoning customs and some Emails eventually it was released. Customs can't even tell a laser from a torch in Australia.

Kaiden57

Kinda important was the advice from Paul-even if the seller offers free batts be sure to ask them to keep and NOT send.. they will very likely be super cheap anyway and the last thing you want is your laser empowered & in the hands of someone who know nothing about laser safety etc.
also in USA Li-ion batts are on the 'no ship list' but not lasers..
I've read around about that, will definitely have to start keeping that in mind when purchasing.
The only time I ever had customs Seize a laser was when I was importing a Torch into Australia.

I had customs Seize a Red LED torch used for astronomy. They claimed it was a laser. After phoning customs and some Emails eventually it was released. Customs can't even tell a laser from a torch in Australia.
I've heard AUS is a real b!7^# on lasers and the like. Probably alot of DIY there.

I've heard AUS is a real b!7^# on lasers and the like. Probably alot of DIY there.

I was quite amused when I received the Customs Seizure notice. I knew it was not a laser.

Almost all my builds are DYI. Diodes, Hosts, Lenses etc. are not a problem with customs. Most of my Diodes in 12mm Modules come from DTR. Never had any issues.