Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Customise of Laser Protection Cover, help needed

Jaxz

I had fabricated a customised Laser Protectin Cover for my usage, to put infront of my laser unit as a safety precaution when laser is in stand by mode and not firing. The protection cover is like a plate made of normal steel, and the vendor has anoldised it to black.

Then I realise the surface is still not dull enough and I'm afraid that some laser beam may still reflect out. I was thinking of pasting another thin layer of liner at the inner side of the plate but I am not sure if this is the best solution and I am also not sure what is the best material for the liner.

For your info, my Laser Unit is a Class IV, Infra-red.

Anyone able to help please. Thanks in advance.

You should note that, because the laser is Infrared, black material does not neccesarily absorb the wavelenght, you should view the color in specific IR spectrum to see if it's "white" or "black". But since that can't be done without expensive cameras, it's up to you to evaluate efficiency of the material used to cover that steel plate.

What's the exact wavelenght and power of the laser in question?

Jaxz

You should note that, because the laser is Infrared, black material does not neccesarily absorb the wavelenght, you should view the color in specific IR spectrum to see if it's "white" or "black". But since that can't be done without expensive cameras, it's up to you to evaluate efficiency of the material used to cover that steel plate.

What's the exact wavelenght and power of the laser in question?

The exact wave length given by the OEM of is 1,06 - 1,08 micrometers.
Power is 21.5 mili Joules , Pulsewidth is 9 mili seconds.

This is a product of Germany.

In that case, it does not matter at all what color is protective cover. At that wavelenght, the only thing reflective is gold, and transmissive are ZnSe lens (I think).

If you metal is aluminium or steel, it does not even matter if it's painted or not, at that wavelenght it appears completely black.

10600nm lasers, like CO2, are used for cutting aluminium and other materials anyhow.

Trevor

In that case, it does not matter at all what color is protective cover. At that wavelenght, the only thing reflective is gold, and transmissive are ZnSe lens (I think).

If you metal is aluminium or steel, it does not even matter if it's painted or not, at that wavelenght it appears completely black.

10600nm lasers, like CO2, are used for cutting aluminium and other materials anyhow.

1.06um is probably referring to 1,064nm (unless it's some sort of exotic pulsed diode system). CO2 is 10,600nm / 10.6um. :p

Probably a YAG system, though the pulses seem long. :thinking:

If I were you, I'd invest in a nice (lab quality) beam dump.

-Trevor

Last edited:
Ooh right, my bad, I just saw 1, 0 and 6 somewhere and instantly assumed...

Right, sorry, forget all I've said.

Trevor

Ooh right, my bad, I just saw 1, 0 and 6 somewhere and instantly assumed...

Right, sorry, forget all I've said.

Good info on CO2 lasers though. ;) :poke:

I somewhat suspect the pulse width is really 9us or 9ns... which means that most goggles are going to be woefully ineffective.

With this system, you really should consult the OEM or a company like Sperian about safety equipment. This kind of power really isn't something to be trifled with. ><

-Trevor

Copper is reflective too at 10.6um, not that it matters in this case (although it's also reflective at 1064nm.
I'm not sure what the OP means with "I'm afraid that some laser beam may still reflect out", can you draw your setup? A decent shutter would be what you need, and it wouldn't have you worry about it's reflection (as logn as it doesn't damage the laser).

Jaxz

1.06um is probably referring to 1,064nm (unless it's some sort of exotic pulsed diode system). CO2 is 10,600nm / 10.6um. :p

Probably a YAG system, though the pulses seem long. :thinking:

If I were you, I'd invest in a nice (lab quality) beam dump.

-Trevor
Hi, would you please explain what is a beam dump?

I don't know if my Laser Range is a YAG system or CO2, this is the OEM secret and is classified and they cannot reveal. We are the end users and Level 3 Maintainence, and we have no detail Electrical schematic diagram of the Laser unit. All Level 4 and Level 5 Maintainence and warrantee is back at the German Company.

Sorry for typo error, it is 9 nano Seconds, not 9 mili seconds. I don't know why is the pulse width so short. According to the German Engineer, it just one pulse the Laser Computer is able to calculate the distance of the target. This unit can measure up to 4000m away with high accuracy.

Copper is reflective too at 10.6um, not that it matters in this case (although it's also reflective at 1064nm.
I'm not sure what the OP means with "I'm afraid that some laser beam may still reflect out", can you draw your setup? A decent shutter would be what you need, and it wouldn't have you worry about it's reflection (as logn as it doesn't damage the laser).
I will try my best to draw out.

Last edited:

Trevor

Hi, would you please explain what is a beam dump?

I don't know if my Laser Range is a YAG system or CO2, this is the OEM secret and is classified and they cannot reveal. We are the end users and Level 3 Maintainence, and we have no detail Electrical schematic diagram of the Laser unit. All Level 4 and Level 5 Maintainence and warrantee is back at the German Company.

Sorry for typo error, it is 9 nano Seconds, not 9 mili seconds. I don't know why is the pulse width so short. According to the German Engineer, it just one pulse the Laser Computer is able to calculate the distance of the target. This unit can measure up to 4000m away with high accuracy.

Yep, that's an Nd:YAG rangefinder. :)

Also, beam dump: Beam dump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Trevor

Jaxz

Yep, that's an Nd:YAG rangefinder. :)

Also, beam dump: Beam dump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Trevor

Thank you. I am not a laser expert, can you please explain how to make a beam dump? Is it cheap and inexpensive?

Yes, you are correct, after reading on wikipedia, I am afraid Nd:YAG is probably the kind of laser I am dealing with now, thank you. Maybe the Germans doesn't want us to know too much.

Yes, I didn't know my Laser range finder can output as much as megawatts in terms of hundreds. No wonder the OEM didn't recommend any safety goggles, and didn't recommend anyone to stand infront of the Laser Unit, and it is an offence to fire the Laser without any protection within the factory compound. But they recommend us to fabricate a protective cover as a safety precaution. But the drawings given by the OEM looks incomplete, and the protection cover I was trained to use in Germany looks different from the design that we were told to construct. In the drawings, not only the shape is different, there is also no other information such as laser-absorbing liner or paint.

Fyi, this Laser Unit is design and constructed 30 years ago. It was classified as a Class 3b laser.

Now I need to find out how to make a protection cover for it. Anyone kind enough to guide me? By the way, after reading on wikipedia, is there a laser-absorbing paint I can use? How and where can I get this?