Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Current Technology

Good afternoon!

My name is Robert and I am a new member to LPF. I've been looking over the site for the past couple days, and I have a few questions about information I've found in older posts. As a Programmer, I believe that any information that hasn't been updated within 3 months is out of date, and that the information provided within said post may no longer be applicable to a new member's project. This is why I have a hard time with starting a project with old information, especially in posts that are 2 years old.

I have two questions.

1.Is DealExtreme.com still a good place to order DIY parts?
2. is extracting Diodes of blue ray players, DVD players, CD player still the main way acquiring in the materials needed to start a project? Or is it better to simply purchase the diode?

as I side note I love this forum, and I decided last night to donate it. I hope other people do as well. It is very rare to see huge a huge resource available for free. (I donate monthly to open office, I love that shiz.)

Blord

1. Yes, the shipping is sometimes very long. Alternative is Ebay or numerous others Chinese shops.
2. Some diodes are free available without extracting like the LPC-815/826 diodes.
For some diodes it is better to extract like the 12x BR diodes. That way you are sure of the right diode and not being scammed.

1. Yes, the shipping is sometimes very long. Alternative is Ebay or numerous others Chinese shops.
2. Some diodes are free available without extracting like the LPC-815/826 diodes.
For some diodes it is better to extract like the 12x BR diodes. That way you are sure of the right diode and not being scammed.

Thanks for the info! What would you recommend doing for a first time laser attempt? I'm hoping to build a simple, low powered laser (doesn't have to have a host. I just want to see how it works. )

Blord

LPC-826 red diode with a LM317/117 driver or any other drivers sold in the B/S section.
And two 3.7V li-ion batteries.

Cheap, good beam/dot and a lot of driver choices.