Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cracked lens...

:'( My X105 has a broken lens. I guess overnight something happened to it. I just contacted NOVA. I have no idea what could cause this... stress? heat? cold? any ideas?
I've never dropped it or anything...

I am so sad. :-[

C

Chris.

If the Nova lenses are plastic then it's almost certainly impact related...

I think they use glass but I'm not sure. But if it is plastic, I've never dropped it. I'm still under warranty at least.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I all alone?

DSC03952.jpg

TEM666
DSC03950.jpg

LarryQ

Holy Crap!!!!

I would have thought the glue would have popped before the lens!!!

Keep us informed!!!

Larry

The glue on the little disk the lens is glued to chipped off a little... I'm clueless as to how this happens... :-?

Gazoo

Maybe if you had it outside and it was cold out, then brought it inside the metal expanding and contracting would cause it to crack...but it still shouldn't. Other than that I am clueless too...and sorry it happened to you.. :'(

C

Chris.

Gazoo said:
Maybe if you had it outside and it was cold out, then brought it inside the metal expanding and contracting would cause it to crack...but it still shouldn't. Other than that I am clueless too...and sorry it happened to you.. :'(

I seriously doubt it though, the change in temperature would be both too small and gradual to CRACK glass..
More likely a manufacturing defect making the glass far more sensitive.

Either very extreme temperature changes or something has hit it directly and caused it to crack and a bit of the glue to chip away. Either way it isn't a manufacturer fault and Nova wouldn't be able to replace the laser or lens without charging.

Hmmm... It's been cold but not that cold... and as far as I know it hasn't been thrown around or anything... gaaah this pisses me off. I'll see what happens.

Though that is a preety sweet dot pic.... wish i had a diffraction grading that would do that becaus that does look cool.... but anways sorry for your laser and that you lost your dot.... hopefully they will fix you up

f22warzone said:
Though that is a preety sweet dot pic.... wish i had a diffraction grading that would do that becaus that does look cool.... but anways sorry for your laser and that you lost your dot.... hopefully they will fix you up
Just get a piece of glass and put a crack right down the center and you're good to go!