Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CPU heatsink for phr.. little help..

really you want the aixiz module to be mounted in a sold piece of metal, the more surface area that is in contact the better.

That's true, but, like MacGyver, this is what he has to work with.

I have a copper-cored CPU heatsink, which I'm looking to pass off, if someone needs it. I might use it for the same purpose some day... :)

HIMNL9

suggestion, drill a 10.7mm hole and screw track (thread ?) it with the same track and step of the aixiz module.

Then you can screw the module on the heatsink, maybe using a bit of thermal grease on the screw track too ..... robust assembly, decent heat transfer ..... and you don't need to drill a lateral m3 hole and screw track it for fix the module in the 12mm hole too :)

Here you go.

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

I drilled it out with a half inch bit, it's as close as I could get to 12mm without having to go buy a 12 dollar new bit. I just had to wiggle it around a little.

Sorry for bad pics, I'm using the camera on my camcorder, I'll get a permanent solution for pictures soon.

ofekgg

pretty good, I like it!
I not drilled yet because I cut the "waves" that was in the heatsink and it destroy the heat sink, i'll think about another solution..
thank anyway, ofek.

Try getting the cheapest heatsink you can find, most are made with an easily drillable copper central column. For example the stock Intel heatsink, that's almost free. Just ask in a computer store whether they have any surplus. Plus, you get thermal grease with them :D

HIMNL9

Try this way: take a spare old AMD heatsink, the ones with an 80mm fan and a good thickness of aluminium on the cpu side ..... then take a cube of aluminium, work it with a 12mm hole for the module, and glue it on the cpu side with thermal glue, or fix it there in the way you prefer, and you have a decent cooler with also the space for the current regulator on it.

If you want to complicate yourself your life :D, you can also do like i made my first lab-style one, and work it with keeping screws and so on, like in the pic (mine have 2 holding holes and 2 regulators, one fixed and one variable, but that was a personal choice due to the need of the moment)

BTW, my cube holder (that is anything except a "cube" LOL) look a bit bad done, but is just cause i don't have any machine at home, just drill, and hand tools, and had to build it all handy ..... if you have some machine, or the possibility to ask someone, better you work it with machines, also for the aspect :p

Attachments

• cooler01.jpg
    cooler01.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 130

ofekgg

nice build! that will be my heatsink for the next laser..
thanks for tips!

ofek.

HIMNL9

nice build! that will be my heatsink for the next laser..
thanks for tips!

ofek.

If so, let me post some more images, so you can have a better idea about how i made it, and then you can build yourself also better :)

BTW, if you want to do it as a 2 places like mine, better that you use an aluminium block a little more large than mine, i used this size just cause i had only this, at the moment ..... and you can do the regulators both trimmer-variables, not one fixed with external resistor like mine, i made this way cause i needed it this way.

If you instead decide for a single host, you have all the space you want also for the rest of the circuits, as example, if you want to make also a regulator for fan speed ..... i just regulated it at the speed i wanted with those diodes solded on-the-fly and glued to the heatsink.

Another idea that i had, but never had the time to do it, is put a fixed thermometer on the assembly ..... i always say myself "i have to do it, one day or another", then i always forgot to do it, and still use an external module, LOL!

And, last, i used 4 little silicone self-adhesive feet, for keep the fan spaced from the desk and left the air circulate (yes, the fan is also the base of all :p)

Attachments

• cooler02.jpg
    cooler02.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 74
  • cooler03.jpg
    cooler03.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 80
  • cooler04.jpg
    cooler04.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 71
  • cooler05.jpg
    cooler05.jpg