Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could someone please tell me about this item?

I noticed that when lasers are battery powered (and batteries and a charger aren't already possessed), the batteries and charger add a lot to the cost. So I was wondering about getting something that plugs into a wall outlet. Makes sense if going outdoors with it is something that would only occasionally be done anyway. All I'd need then is an extension cord. :yh:

I went to the o-like.com website after reading about it and found an item that looks perfect, except I can't figure out exactly how it works. I'll post the link to it: 2W 445nm Blue Laser Module / good Cooling / TTL /Adjustable [OL-445-2W] - $99.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I'm assuming the box-shaped thing is the laser itself. But what is the thing with the electronics on it that it's wired to? Also, where is the AC cord? I don't see how this plugs into an outlet if it doesn't have a cord.

As you may have guessed, I'm new to this. :p

diachi

I noticed that when lasers are battery powered (and batteries and a charger aren't already possessed), the batteries and charger add a lot to the cost. So I was wondering about getting something that plugs into a wall outlet. Makes sense if going outdoors with it is something that would only occasionally be done anyway. All I'd need then is an extension cord. :yh:

I went to the o-like.com website after reading about it and found an item that looks perfect, except I can't figure out exactly how it works. I'll post the link to it: 2W 445nm Blue Laser Module / good Cooling / TTL /Adjustable [OL-445-2W] - $99.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I'm assuming the box-shaped thing is the laser itself. But what is the thing with the electronics on it that it's wired to? Also, where is the AC cord? I don't see how this plugs into an outlet if it doesn't have a cord.

As you may have guessed, I'm new to this. :p

That's what is typically called a lab laser or "labby". Sometimes also referred to as an OEM module. They come in all shapes and sizes.

The part with the electronics is the driver. It's a little more complicated than the drivers used in pointers primarily because it also has support for modulation.

It doesn't plug into an outlet - read the specs - it takes 12V DC input. You'd need to have a power supply that plugs into an outlet, then connect the laser driver to that power supply.

Usually these go into other products like laser projectors or are used in labs on an optical bench. Lab lasers generally have longer duty cycles than pointers (100%, which is infinite!), they are also typically available with better specs than pointers. However, cost is also often higher.

That's what is typically called a lab laser or "labby". Sometimes also referred to as an OEM module. They come in all shapes and sizes.

The part with the electronics is the driver. It's a little more complicated than the drivers used in pointers primarily because it also has support for modulation.

It doesn't plug into an outlet - read the specs - it takes 12V DC input. You'd need to have a power supply that plugs into an outlet, then connect the laser driver to that power supply.

Usually these go into other products like laser projectors or are used in labs on an optical bench. Lab lasers generally have longer duty cycles than pointers (100%, which is infinite!), they are also typically available with better specs than pointers. However, cost is also often higher.

Ha! And here I thought it looked great because it looked lower in price. Only about $100 for a blue 2W laser that doesn't even need batteries. But when you add a power supply, I guess that could run the price up. But wait! It says in the specs: Power Supply Dimensions: 47.5mm (L)*31.5mm(W)*16mm(H). Does this mean the power supply is actually included? I don't see it in the pictures.

diachi

Ha! And here I thought it looked great because it looked lower in price. Only about $100 for a blue 2W laser that doesn't even need batteries. But when you add a power supply, I guess that could run the price up. But wait! It says in the specs: Power Supply Dimensions: 47.5mm (L)*31.5mm(W)*16mm(H). Does this mean the power supply is actually included? I don't see it in the pictures.

I'd imagine they are referring to the driver rather than the power supply.

Cost of a power supply isn't huge - a cheap wall adapter will work as long as it can supply enough current. I've used ATX supplies from computers before - those are free if you have an old machine lying around and cheap even if you don't.

I'm actually using a small 5V adapter I found lying around to power my CNI Lab unit, it was probably originally for a network switch or some such device.

Looks like it needs 1.7A so I'd search for something that can provide >2A - That gives you a little room, always better to "over engineer".