Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CORE 200mW ?????

J

jamie.91

Hey, i am watching a Wicked Laser CORE 5mW on ebay right now which is going for $40 and $10p&p and was wondering would it be worth my time buying it, are they any good, what do you think ?

ALSO- i was wondering if it would be possible to take it apart and replace the diode with a StoneTek 200mw ;D OEM 808nm, has it been done before, are there schematics for WL CORE ?

Any help appreciated!!! ;D

the reason i chose the WL CORE is it has an IR filter was this a good move with such a dangerous diode ?

Thanks Jamie

EDIT there are only 2 days left on bidding so i need to make my mind up soon lmao :D

Wl cores are pretty good actually. Taking it apart isn't a great idea trough.

J

jamie.91

have you got one ? and have you ever took one apart ?

why is it not a good idea ? fragile ?

thanks jamie

You'l have to spend money on a flexdrive or a random driver & Module &Etc. Also Ir is kinda dangerous you should do it with a red diode instead.

Its possible but if this is your first DIY laser work, consider it impossible. Replacing it with a red diode wold still be a daunting first DIY if you don't have some experience, but it'd a much more reasonable job. At least then there are AixiZ modules and the light to make collimation easy enough.

If your plan is to use a WL core, its not really so much replacing the diode as you would have to completely gut the core and just use the case as a housing. The diode, power requirements, collimation are all up to you to build.

Also, note that the core is pumped by an 808nm diode, roughly in the 100-200mW range. Its far more complicated than just removing everything that sits on top of the diode - you'd need to rig up collimation entirely on your own (difficult), but at least then you could use the Core's driver instead of tackling your own.

J

jamie.91

pseudonomen137 hmmm it does sound hard

i was going to buy a driver to use but if i have to collimate it myself that could be hard i thaught i could just throw a new diode into the old module and use the same lense and crystals

it isnt my first diy however i have made a box style DIY Red and i am also currently half way through my first box style DIY Blu-Ray but i suppose im just not ready for it lmao

i will probly still end up trying though i get something in my head and i get a little to determined lmao :D

thanks jamie

Wait, what exactly do you want? If you are trying to get more green out, putting in an 808nm diode from stonetek won't bump the power up. The crystals are too small for any improvement.

If you are trying to make an 808nm IR burner, the design will be useless because the filter will absorb all of the light.

Yeah, your original post made it sound like you wanted to just run an IR from it. If you're trying to use a stronger pump behind the crystals that won't work. Its like saying if your car engine puts out a lot of torque at 6,000RPM, so you could probably get even more running it at 12,000RPM (but no, then you just have a broken engine). The crystal sets are not magic things that convert any amount of 808nm to 532nm, in fact the crystal set is usually the more expensive part and the limiting factor - moreso than the diode. If anything, you'd have a much better chance putting in a better crystal set than replacing the pump (which will just oversaturate your crystals)

There has to be at least 5 people who have asked this 'better diode in my greenie?' question. Whack it in the FAQ so we don't have to deal with them individually. ::)

J

jamie.91

sorry but StoneTeks website said great replacement for dead geen lasers lol i must have been very misslead lmao

Well, he meant great replacement for greenies with dead diodes. The CORE probably has a 200mW diode in it already. You haven't been mislead.