Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Copper Homebrew Housing for Axiz 635nm

Here is the attempt at a housing I've been promising to make for my new Axiz 635nm module I purchased. This is a first draft so it's not exactly the way I want it yet, but it works.

It is made from copper plumbing parts from Lowes and one 6mW 635nm module from Aixiz. I snagged the micro switch from the DVD burner circuit board that I robbed a diode from a week or so ago. The tail cap spring I took from a Radio Shack battery housing. I used epoxy to hold the copper parts together and believe it or not they still maintained electrical connection. This used 2 AAs for power.

I cleaned the copper with 500 grit sandpaper until it had a nice shine then I painted it with a metal primer followed by a few coats of Rustoleum black textured finish. I should have applied a few more light coats but I got anxious to play with it ;)

I learned that the Aixiz module housing is connected to the positve lead of the power wire which caused a few minor issues with grounding out the batteries. Strange that they did it this way. I fixed this issue by grinding out the front copper fitting to a larger inside diameter and wrapping the Aixiz module with electrical tape to make a snug fit. In hindsight I could have done without the front fitting and just wrapped, mounted and glued the Aixiz housing into the front of the copper tube.

What ideas do you guys have for improvment? I need some more ideas to make it better.

Attachments

• DSC_2045.JPG
    DSC_2045.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 162

Another picture of the copper parts I used.

Attachments

• DSC_2043.JPG
    DSC_2043.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 278
S

SenKat

THAT is truely the FIRST home-brew pointer from scratch I have EVER seen - and it is GORGEOUS ! WAY TO GO ! Yeah, my caps lock is stuck...had to yell that out, man - fantastic work there :)

Skram0

Creative, nice..
How about using some CR123a's and a GB diode and make a DIY pointer burner. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hey thanks SenKat! I appreciate that! Maybe if there is enough interest, we can come together and find even better pieces to this puzzle and get it looking even better. Here is the picture of the tailcap. Again this is an iron plumbing piece rom Lowes. I took a AA battery and an Aixiz module into Lowes and just started fitting things together until I found some pieces to fit! Yeah, I got some looks doing this ;) I'm going back tomorrow with a AAA battery and module to see if I can make it smaller and use AAA batteries.

Attachments

• DSC_2046.JPG
    DSC_2046.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 164
S

SenKat

Go in, and see if you can fit together some CR123's and leave about 3/4" extra space near the top - that can house a driver - like the LM317 type, regulate the 2 CR123's down to good levels, and have on hella-burner ! :) Looks good, man - the innovation on this forum NEVER ceases to amaze me ! :) You ARE an inspiration to us all - THIS is what it is all about, folks ! YAY !!!!!!! KUDOS !!

Me too. I mean I have seen tons upon tones of mode. But not one DIY laser from scratch. Very awesome guy.

Excellent job! Your design isn't far from many pro designs, actually. A few key points that could be of value:

For common can anode devices such as the Aixiz natural ones, you did as well as you can. Another option is to check the driver circuit board. If the positive wire is directly connected to the can as well, use this to your advantage. Build a plug inside the tube with the spring, wire it to the negative pole, and insulate it from the housing and the copper. Simply ensure the batteries are inserted backwards (- first) from the 'normal' flashlight manner.

Common can cathode: You can do similar here, with the GB diodes and many others. The batteries go in (+) first, and the copper can carry one pole to the casing.

Other than that, it looks as professional as any amateur laser I've ever seen before. Excellent work!

BRILLIANT
HOW ABOUT ONE WITH ONE CR123 instead of 2 like someone suggested
a lot cheaper than buying a torch and more laser looking
excellent work man :)

Benm

I love it! I've been playing with the idea myself, but i'm not as good with mechanics, so havent tried yet. Your result is excellent though.

If you do another, i'd go for the CR123 batteries too, and use one of the GB diodes. With those, the case is actually connected to ground, and you can make the whole pointer electrically neutral.. with excellent heatsinking too!

Another interesting option would be to make this with 3 AAA cells, giving enough voltage to drive a burner diode. Perhaps it would become impractically long though.

for the 3 aaa cells, it would just be better to buy a 3 cell torch and less hassle, thats what i did and its excellent
check it out, nice and small
laserrrrr.jpg