Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cooling with Lasers....

I knew about laser cooling from some time ago when everyone was trying to make a Bowes-Einstein condensate. Then later when cooling crystals like the ones in the water. I'm glad it was done at UW, but I think this is not all that new really. Interesting read. Thanks, Jerry.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Very interesting, Jerry, thanks!
It looks like this could be a great new way to keep your beer chilled without dragging the cooler along! :crackup:

I remember reading about this back when the article was published, really interesting stuff. I'm assuming they are exploiting some kind of anti-Stokes fluorescence?

Nano crystals huh, if they are driven into a higher orbit by surrounding energy as well as the laser and they emit reddish light, I start thinking about a gain medium that recycles a lasers waste heat, or a way to amplify output.

I knew about laser cooling from some time ago when everyone was trying to make a Bowes-Einstein condensate. Then later when cooling crystals like the ones in the water. I'm glad it was done at UW, but I think this is not all that new really. Interesting read. Thanks, Jerry.
This was the first time I had read or heard of
using a Laser's beam to create cold rather than
heat.

Jerry