Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Crash

Hi,
at the moment my Computer work.. :)
So i will tell you a little bit about it, one week ago i cleanup everything on the hard disk, including Windows Xp, after that i install it again and it works not so good. Now i download the "partition manager" i click install, it must be started again and then.. nothing... it doesn't work . Then clean the hard disk again with another partition program and install linux . But now the problem my computer shut down always it happens abruptly . It doesn't depend on too much data on the pc there it nearly nothing left, but what is it ?? :-?

oh yes my system it's a microstar pc dual core 1..86 ghz the grafic board nvidia geforce 7600le

Sunrise said:
no it's working quite good but it shuts down sometimes
How dirty is your CPU heat sink? Try blowing / cleaning it off.

If it's not the CPU, then it seems that it is one of 2 things, possibly.

1. When you do a fresh install, you're installing a bad/faulty driver right away.
2. Your hard drive is acting up/dieing.

If you want to rule out the hard drive, google "SpinRite", and make a disc of it and start your pc up with it in. Let it do the default test and see if it finds any bad sectors, etc.

And I'm not saying the graphics card is the case, but I had an agp 7600 512mb card and it locked up on every game played with it, even on 3 different machines on 3 different motherboards, so keep that in mind.

thanks for answering guys..

i cleaned the heatsink and the hole case and i clean the hard disk and install windows xp and linux on another patition it works, but the nearly the same problem like before sometimes the system freeze and nothing works... it must be a mistake in the hardware

good news... ;D

I had download the a patch for my system and now it works since two hours without a crash.

Well I hope it continues working. But out of curiosity what was the patch for? Like what did it say the patch was supposed to fix, etc.

I have the Windows Xp Media Center Edition, and then i downloaded the "Rollup 2 " update (yes.. i think this was the name), but i think it#s a heat problem every time i have the window open it works

Sunrise said:
I have the Windows Xp Media Center Edition, and then i downloaded the "Rollup 2 " update (yes.. i think this was the name), but i think it#s a heat problem every time i have the window open it works
From your discription of everything, a heat problem would and was my first guess, but it does seem odd that after installing a patch, everything seemed to work fine.  Typically, patches will only fix security issues and not hardware problems.  After installing the patch, did linux work just fine as well or did you come to the conclusion that it was a cooling/heat issue.

From the sounds of it, you might want to add a few fans to your case. ;)

Last week I went through my desktop and cleaned it out. My ATI HD2600 512 AGP that I bought a year ago was working pretty good, but when I opened it up I noticed my heatsink was somewhat loose. So I put some spacers over the ends of the plastic spring things (sorry for getting all technical :p) that hold the heatsink onto the card, and now it fits much tighter and temperature even went down a few degrees. Although this card normally ran cool as hell anyways, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I also as a year or every 6 month thing put new thermal compound on my GPU and CPU heatsinks. If you take care of your baby, she'll last a while :p (With the exception of my 600w power supply from ebay that blew its capacitors last month, and took enough of the board with it to call it parts).

And I always clean dust out of my tower every 1 or 2 months. I've lost a PSU fan and a CPU fan because of insane dust build-up and it sucks. I won't let that happen again.

Lotus_Darkrose said:
Last week I went through my desktop and cleaned it out. My ATI HD2600 512 AGP that I bought a year ago was working pretty good, but when I opened it up I noticed my heatsink was somewhat loose. So I put some spacers over the ends of the plastic spring things (sorry for getting all technical  :p) that hold the heatsink onto the card, and now it fits much tighter and temperature even went down a few degrees. Although this card normally ran cool as hell anyways, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

[highlight]I also as a year or every 6 month thing put new thermal compound on my GPU and CPU heatsinks.[/highlight] If you take care of your baby, she'll last a while :p (With the exception of my 600w power supply from ebay that blew its capacitors last month, and took enough of the board with it to call it parts).

And I always clean dust out of my tower every 1 or 2 months. I've lost a PSU fan and a CPU fan because of insane dust build-up and it sucks. I won't let that happen again.

Sounds like you could benifit from putting some screens or filter on your case! I only have to clean my out about once every 8 months or so, but I do have to clean my filters about once every 1 to 2 months. Still it stays rather clean for having 8 case fans. :)

[highlight]It doesn't hurt, but I never touch my video card because doing that voids the warrantee. :)[/highlight]

"It doesn't hurt, but I never touch my video card because doing that voids the warranty."

I do it because I bought my graphics card off of someone on craigslist for 50 bucks, so it didn't have a warranty to void. Also, my desktop is basically my internet computer, even though it plays games like Gears of War and The Witcher very well.

I use my laptop for games, and didn't buy a warranty with it. I know how to take care of a laptop, and I cannot in all good conscience pay almost 300 dollars for a 2 year warranty on a 679.99 laptop.

They get you with store warranties on laptops at places like Best Buy, because they cover software and in-store service with the warranty. And DO NOT get me started on the "experts" at geek squad. Some of them may be very knowledged, but most are pretty effing clueless.

[quote author=Lotus_Darkrose link=1239832238/0#14 date=1240079959]"It doesn't hurt, but I never touch my video card because doing that voids the warranty."

I do it because I bought my graphics card off of someone on craigslist for 50 bucks, so it didn't have a warranty to void. Also, my desktop is basically my internet computer, even though it plays games like Gears of War and The Witcher very well.

I use my laptop for games, and didn't buy a warranty with it. I know how to take care of a laptop, and I cannot in all good conscience pay almost 300 dollars for a 2 year warranty on a 679.99 laptop.

They get you with store warranties on laptops at places like Best Buy, because they cover software and in-store service with the warranty. And DO NOT get me started on the "experts" at geek squad. Some of them may be very knowledged, but [highlight]most are pretty effing clueless.[/[/highlight]quote]
True :)