Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Complete noob with lasers, interested in purchasing

Matin

Hey, I am a complete noob when it comes to lasers. I see everyone making the lasers with parts they order online and such. I have no knowledge on what to do. I want to spend at max $200 for a laser, glasses, etc. Can anyone help me out?

Start reading..
http://laserpointerforums.com/
HyperPhysics
That should get you started.
Like anything you will need to learn. Start with SAFETY, light/optics/circuits (physics theory), and then get a small 5-50 mw diode. Build a small laser to learn the techniques, and then go and spend 200$ on a nice build.. You don't want to be an idiot who buys some big 2 W IR laser, and looks into the thing when it's on because you can't see the beam.

Matin

Start reading..
http://laserpointerforums.com/
HyperPhysics
That should get you started.
Like anything you will need to learn. Start with SAFETY, light/optics/circuits (physics theory), and then get a small 5-50 mw diode. Build a small laser to learn the techniques, and then go and spend 200$ on a nice build.. You don't want to be an idiot who buys some big 2 W IR laser, and looks into the thing when it's on because you can't see the beam.

Do you know any sites which offer all the parts for under $50? I want to learn how to do this. I know very little I know that the IR lasers you can't see them. Is there any glasses that you can recommend for me to purchase as well?

Matin

I want to assembly my own laser together. What will I need? All I know is a host, heatsink and a diode. What else would I need?
--
Edit I just figured out I need to solder and I never done any soldering. Can you guys recommend some pre-built lasers from anyone selling one here/sites?

Last edited:
I want to assembly my own laser together. What will I need? All I know is a host, heatsink and a diode. What else would I need?
--
Edit I just figured out I need to solder and I never done any soldering. Can you guys recommend some pre-built lasers from anyone selling one here/sites?

Take a look at Survivallaser.com, they sell laser bundles for red, blue and violet of which some are capable of over 1W (the blue and violet).

Also they have a special LPF bundle for $140 which includes all the stuff needed, as well as two disposable batteries. The owner of Survivallaser is here on LPF, he is called Garoq.

Here is the link to the LPF specials!

TL:DR =Survival lasers are really strong, not for newbies. Soldering is easy. Parts are cheap. Government doesn't like sale of IIIb+ lasers without harsh regulations, in most countries.

I just got one from Survival Laser. Be aware these are Class IV and not toys. I am still waiting on my goggles, and batteries from another supplier. Survival Laser got me the 445nm 1.4W kit without accessories in 3 days; I'm in MN, USA and they are out west in Utah I believe. I put it together in 3 minutes! It has no safety features (key, delay switch, etc) so I wouldn't suggest this item for a 'newb'.

Check this out - may answer some things for you.
Fun With Lasers - Howto: Make a DVD Burner into a High-Powered Laser

It may help with some of the minor details.
Soldering is easy, read a bit about it and buy a couple items from radio shack and practice. After about 15 or 20 junctions you should be soldering Pro!
And then use O-like or similar to get the diodes and individual parts. Aixiz and similar build items simplify the entire process.
It may take you a month or two to learn enough to build one.

Review the FDA regulations - They will get in the way of having a class IIIb+ laser in the USA; and similar groups worldwide limit this for good reason.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY