Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

COMPLETE* 1/7 Destructive Gear PYRO 100 Review

LarryQ

Re: **UPDATE**Destructive Gear PYRO 100 Review.

Here are some vids that show the problem with the beam.

In the first vid..the laser was JUST getting warm....

By the end...It's not even a "Beam"...

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x297/LarryQ99/?action=view&current=Movie.flv
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x297/LarryQ99/?action=view&current=Movie_0002.flv
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x297/LarryQ99/?action=view&current=Movie_0001.flv

Sry about the Focus...

Me and cameras just DON"T GET ALONG!@!!

LarryQ

Nice review so far LarryQ Can't wait to see what there reply is about the serial numbers... Its a shame about the mode hopping, I am waiting to see what they say about it, but if it makes you feel any better I had 3 spyderII GX's with a similar beam ::)

LarryQ

Merl said:
if it makes you feel any better I had 3 spyderII GX's with a similar beam  ::)

Not unless there is a Happy Ending to the story!!!! ::) :eek:

I just sent another e-mail to DG....

I know that the time zones are in the way...but before the transaction..they replied within 12 hours...
Now....well.....

I did learn one thing...and I should post it here...
the Phone number on DG's site is USELESS!!!!!!

I was able to actually get a live person there ONCE..and they told me that they could do nothing other than send Taiwan an E-mail!

Also it is plain now that Jakarta has NOTHING to do with these lasers or where they come from..
At best they are the "Front Office" for DG...rest assured Everything comes from..and goes through Taiwan.

THanks for the Kind words! Merl!!

I hope everyone can see the problem with the beam in the Vids....I just don't use cameras at all....I HATE the damed things!!

I've taken more pictures of my THUMB than of my subject matter!!!

LarryQ

<pedantic>Jakarta is in Indonesia, not India</pedantic>

LarryQ

marianne said:
<pedantic>Jakarta is in Indonesia, not India</pedantic>

I knew that....What the heck is wrong with me?

Must have been feeling too lazy to type the extra 4 letters in Indonesia.. ::)

Oh...and still no reply from DG....this is not looking good...but I continue to wait.

Larry

ack, i really hope that they reply, *especially* since it wasn't an entirely free laser, it would suck if they just ignored you. then again, maybe it's some holiday over there right now that we don't have? good luck, anyway...

LarryQ

I got a reply from DG.
Let me share.

Hi Larry,

Sorry for my delayed response.

First, about the serial number. We recently switched our method of delivering warning labels to customers. Previously they were sent separately from the laser because we worried about lasers being stolen in the mail (it happens in Asia).
But customers didn't like waiting for the warning label and we never had problems in the mail as of yet so we recently switched.
The label is shipped in the same package as the laser from the factory.
I think what's happened is since the change each laser is now actually getting two serial numbers; one to match the old sequence and one to match the new one.
I did find the test report for <serial # of laser I recieved..LQ>and it's almost identical, so this is the same laser (as you know, laser output varies, particularly amongst the high power lasers, which is why
we do several test reports for each laser).
The original one that I sent you with the "wrong" serial number was on Oct 4, when the laser was first built.
The 2nd is from when it was shipped to you on 10/24. Please see attached.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will make sure this point of confusion is eliminated in the future.

Now, regarding the mode hopping. I apologize for this inconvenience.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell via testing which lasers are most likely to experience this difficulty.
It is just the "nature of the beast" so to speak with handheld high-powered lasers.
All we can do is replace the bad ones when they turn out.
I hope this is acceptable to you.

Please send to this address. Once it's received, we generally have it forwarded to Taiwan for repair/replacement. We provide the domestic address simply to save you the cost and responsibility of international
shipping for something that is not your fault.
Since you're working on a review I'll try to let everyone know to be ready so it can be hurried up.

<Address removed just to protect DG..LQ>

Thanks,

Teping Chang
Destructive Gear

I JUST got back from the Post office, and the laser is on it's way back to them at the address they gave me.
I sent it Priority Mail, and they will have it in their hand by 3:00 on November 2'nd

Stay tuned..this ride aint over yet!  :cool:

LarryQ

sounds like their customer service is willing to take some extra steps in terms of customer cost in case of RMA, which stands out quite a bit to me

MarioMaster said:
sounds like their customer service is willing to take some extra steps in terms of customer cost in case of RMA, which stands out quite a bit to me
either that or they want to look good in this review... but I'd bet it's just good customer service

Laq

Sounds like good customer service to me indeed. However their response time is a bit to the edge if you'd ask me.

I'm interrested in a Pyro as well , with the generous discount of 25% as well, however i got no results from consulting them by phone.
Tried many times calling them, but it seems to be a messagebox only. I'dd actually like to speak to one of their representatives first before buying anything from them. I'll try some more times over day to cover the time difference issues. maybe that'll help.

Till now, i'm just keep track of your reviews and try some more times to reach them. if it turns out that i can't reach them by phone i guess i just don't want to make the step from ordering from them. just common sense in my opinion.

Keep us updated, Thanks so far for sharing this with us !

Cheers!

LarryQ

LAQ..
I am almost POSITIVE that that phone number is in the USA...

The person I spoke to was most certainly American...and could not help me.

Remember, they also had me send the Laser to a USA address...then THEY were to send it overseas.

I'll wager that this is the phone number of the Location in ...Las Vegas...That they had me send the laser.

Quickest response for me has been posting on DG's forum...

Or E-mailing dgear@ destructivegear.com

Hold tight...let's see how things work out....

I'm not throwing in the towel yet....
So far they seem to really be trying!!!

I thought that this review would have been over by now....!!

Even after I get the new Pyro....I still need to get it to Senkat for testing....

Lot's more to come folks!

Since we are in a holding pattern until the replacement comes...Now would be a good time for me to ask some things of the readers of this thread.

What , If anything, am I missing so far???

Is there something in particular I can show, or discuss to help you all get a better feel for this entire process?

This is my first "Review"....Me=Newbie!!

Is there anything that you all may see as slipping through the cracks??

Thanks

LarryQ

you seem to be covering the bases pretty well larry, keep up the good work. Maybe once you get a good replacement you could take a couple longer exposure shots next to you x-105 to see some beamshot comparisons. (i know you dont like the camera stuff, gimme a PM if you need help, I love photography!). You're doing a good job on the review though, keeping an open mind and an objective opinion. I hope everything works out with the RMA!

-Dough

LarryQ

Consider it done Dough.... :cool:

I had planned on doing just that...but since the beam on thie specimen was suspect, I thought it would be a waste of time, and actually be misleading.

The camera I'm using is a Sony DSC-T50.

Tons of settings to play with...what settings would you suggest for accurate beam shots?

LarryQ

I think you are doing a great review Larry, One of the most thorough and in depth reviews i have read for some time. Keep up the great work.

Jase

Attachments

• burger_king.jpg
    burger_king.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 91

siska

OK, here's somewhat of an "official" response from DGear.

First of all, I apologize for the issues this laser is showing. We do thoroughly test each laser, but the fact is high powered lasers are unstable by nature and these types of things are bound to pop up. I think as laser enthusiasts everyone should recognize this important fact and undertand your chances of receiving a defect are higher than a flashlight, for example.

As your supplier, it is our duty to test as thoroughly as possible and treat you honestly and with respect if something does happen. We do have many satisfied customers and even some who found our product did not meet their needs, but I think nobody will tell you we ripped them off. I would bet my life that our testing procedures and willingness to work with customers is as good or better than anyone else.

My name is Teping and I handle almost all of the written customer service for our company. I work for Ms. Siska Amelia who is the owner. We do have a small staff but I have the best written English skill so I am typically the one to write. I do my best to respond to all emails (even the ones that ask if the Pyro will set rats on fire or burn holes through stop signs at 1000 ft), but I have been travelling very very heavily the past month and sometimes I've gone a day or two without being able to get online. The flight to USA from Jakarta is about 24 hours of total travel time, so that's a main reason.

EST in the USA is pretty much 12 hours time difference from us in Asia. Since people who would work graveyard shift to answer your phones overseas typically don't speak good English or provide good customer service we hire some Americans to handle the calls for us. But the amount of calls is not economical to have them on full time. Honestly, if you leave a message someone will call you back and probably have good information for you. We are trying to establish regular hours for the phone and are also looking for solid people in our country to handle your calls. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions on how we can manage the customer expectation regarding leaving a voicemail we'd really apprecaite it because too many people are frustrated by this and we want to explain the situation.