Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Comment on my proposed 445 prototype build

boscoj

Sorry for the lame mspaint diagram . . .

I want to use 3-4 1.2V 4600 mah NiMh sub c because I have a ton of them and a charger . . .

i442_laserhosttxt.jpg

Some have seen my 1366 heatsink that I want to machine to accept an Aixiz module . . .

2010-07-09%2010.13.59.jpg

Just going to hack up a cheap plastic flashlight for fitment, maybe go into a d cell Mag Lite . . .

2010-07-09%2010.27.07.jpg

Only real concern at this point is the heatsink from the core i7 proc is 30 mm tall. That will be a problem with the Aixiz 12x30 mm module won't it?

Thanks for all the help and such a great board . . .

You should be able to make that fit without too many problems - one thing that might be a problem is holding the module in place. Are you going to use thermal glue or a set screw? That decision affects how easy the rest of your build is, and whether or not it can be removed/replaced easily.

boscoj

I was going to use a set screw and a thermal compound. It looks like I may have to offset the module in the heatsink so it can be focused.

Dunno, never held these parts in my hand and am not certain how they actually work . . .

OT - I died a little death when they closed the Kenn Markets . . .

Last edited:
Why would you have to offset the module in the heatsink? The 12mm x 30mm measurement does not include the lens or focus ring. It sounds like the module is an exact fit!

Also, you don't need to use the bottom 'sleeve' of the AixiZ module.

boscoj

well if I need to adjust the focus ring wouldn't it need to be longer than 30 mm?

like I said, I don't really have any idea until i have parts in hand. >noob<

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The focus ring adds another 4mm to the overall length, but the focus ring needs to be outside of the heatsink in order for you to adjust it.

boscoj

i think you get me . . . so what is the total length? 30 or 34?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The focus ring adds another 4mm to the overall length, but the focus ring needs to be outside of the heatsink in order for you to adjust it.

Sorry, forget the 4mm thing. You focus the laser by screwing and unscrewing the lens (the black thing in the photos). Usually at the end of the lens there is a metal focus ring while allows your fingers to easily grip the lens. The focus ring can not be in the heatsink or else you won't be able to focus it. The overall length including the lens will be over 30mm, but the extra mm above 30 will simply protrude from the heatsink. Here's a couple images that might help:
img0034rx.jpg

img0037yz.jpg

aixizsingleBIG.jpg

I hope this helps

I would still suggest you make the move toward lithium cells. 3-4 NiMh cells in series may get you your voltage, but you'll still get a battery life that is equal to you using only one cell. 4 of those cells would be the bare minimum for regular usage IMO.

Lithiums are cheap anyways!