Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Color blindness? Post what YOU see!

gozert

Alright, this may sound really stupid to some. But this is how I see it. What I think is that, for most of us, colors are pretty much the same. Why? Take a look at the light forum theme, if you post in white or yellow, others can't see it well. And if your yellow was what I call blue, you would be able to see the text easily.

Of course I can't know for sure, no one can.

Alright, this may sound really stupid to some. But this is how I see it. What I think is that, for most of us, colors are pretty much the same. Why? Take a look at the light forum theme, if you post in white or yellow, others can't see it well. And if your yellow was what I call blue, you would be able to see the text easily.

That is a very good point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91VUFVp1eXk this explains that you cant also explain a color in any way. color is not existent i think its just how our brain interprets light. so you cant really explain color since its made by you in person in a way.

gozert

That is a very good point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91VUFVp1eXk this explains that you cant also explain a color in any way. color is not existent i think its just how our brain interprets light. so you cant really explain color since its made by you in person in a way.

Maybe the brightness of how someone sees a color differs too, though that wouldn't make sense as 556nm is the brightest laser color for both of us. Weird stuff it certainly is.

Yes, also what about 'clear' like glass for instance. is it a color? if so it would be the only color we could possibly explain to someone who has never seen anything before. people who are colorblind know what 'clear' is.

Teej

You are mixing perception of a wavelength with the brain's image of that wavelength.

The CHEMISTRY in the eyes is fairly reliable and understood, so, we DO know what WAVELENGTHS we can see in what relative scale, etc. We DO know how the colors gradate across the spectrum, by wavelength, etc.

What we DON'T know, is whether 532 nm in MY BRAIN, looks to me the same way 532 nm looks to YOU in YOUR brain.

:D

"Green" is a word we use to describe what 532 nm might appear as, but, the image in MY head might be what you'd call yellow...and so forth.

So we agree we all learned that the word for what we see as 532 nm is CALLED green, and, wavelengths similar to that wavelength might be different shades of green, and that leaves are green, etc.

Physically, it all works, as whatever color we "see" in our brain, is STILL that wavelength...and we all know to call THAT green.

There's no confusion.

We just don't have a way to look into YOUR head, and see what you see, when you say you see green.

:thinking:

Last edited:
You are mixing perception of a wavelength with the brain's image of that wavelength.

The CHEMISTRY in the eyes is fairly reliable and understood, so, we DO know what WAVELENGTHS we can see in what relative scale, etc. We DO know how the colors gradate across the spectrum, by wavelength, etc.

What we DON'T know, is whether 532 nm in MY BRAIN, looks to me the same way 532 nm looks to YOU in YOUR brain.

"Green" is a word we use to describe what 532 nm might appear as, but, the image in MY head might be what you'd call yellow...and so forth.

So we agree we all learned that the word for what we see as 532 nm is CALLED green, and, wavelengths similar to that wavelength might be different shades of green, and that leaves are green, etc.

Physically, it all works, as whatever color we "see" in our brain, is STILL that wavelength...and we all know to call THAT green.

There's no confusion.

We just don't have a way to look into YOUR head, and see what you see, when you say you see green.

:thinking:

Ok! I know totally were you are coming from. :D

Gabe

I apologize for the double post, but I wanted to show something. Today this massive debate started, on the colour of this dress:

It's either black and blue, white and gold, or a mixture of the two. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IVE SHOWN THIS TO has either contradicted someone else, or seen it change. It really shows just how tough it is to communicate things like colours. What do you see?

I apologize for the double post, but I wanted to show something. Today this massive debate started, on the colour of this dress:

It's either black and blue, white and gold, or a mixture of the two. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IVE SHOWN THIS TO has either contradicted someone else, or seen it change. It really shows just how tough it is to communicate things like colours. What do you see?

To me it's white and gold :)

Heh, I swear to me it's 100% blue and black

Damn that is strange aha need to show this to some friends ill be back later with results :) EDIT: WHAT? It just changed to blue and black next time I saw it :eek:

Last edited:

Teej

Depending on how I look at it, I see it as white and gold, blue and gold, and, blue and black.

Part of it is the perspective, if I am "calibrating" off the upper areas, my eyes are adjusting the white balance, and "correcting" the lighter color to white.

If I am using the lower areas, with no "correction", I see the lighter area as blue.

The same thing seems to happen with the gold looking black, as again, that balance "correction" seems to tell the eyes that if the lighter area is blue, then the darker area must be even darker, and therefore black.

So I think its probably actually white with gold, but, depending on the actual lighting used in the pic, its even possible that its none of the perceived colors.

After deliberation, I'll go blue/black.

Last edited:
i saw this floating around fb. I see white and gold except due to lighting and the brain the bottom can look very light blue. still the gold part looks gold no matter what. I'm actually kinda amazed some people see black. moral of story is light your photos better unless you are trying to **** with people

Last edited:

Teej

i saw this floating around fb. I see white and gold except due to lighting and the brain the bottom can look very light blue. still the gold part looks gold no matter what. I'm actually kinda amazed some people see black. moral of story is light your photos better unless you are trying to **** with people

Try cropping it to just the bottom band, and the gold turns black at first glance.

The yellow pool of light at the bottom changes your calibration...but including enough of the area where the yellow light looks whiter, changes it to gold from black....but if you start by cropping just the top band, it looks more gold from the get go.

It seems the eye's white balance is very confused by that combination of lighting color/glare, etc.

Last edited:
In morning I saw a dark dress. Now (midday) it is white/gold.

I have a weird color blindness. Internet is full of all kind for self-tests.
Just check the pic from Color blindness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

220px-Ishihara_9.png

I'm the one who sees 21 LOL Normal people sees 74.
I've no problems to see 808 nm while for many 785 nm is already invisible :/