Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CO2 tube Jeers

If anyone is planning to get a 15 watt CO2 laser tube from ebay, AVOID Drirvine2000. You could get a bad tube and be out $240.
I got a tube and after about 5 total on/off minutes of use at rated current, I heard a "tink" and the tube flooded with cooling water. That also cooked my power supply.
Thinking that I got the 1 in a 1000 with a problem, I contacted the seller. There is NO WARRANTY on his product and he quickly ignores email. Ebay is helpless to do anything.
Another forum member reports three similar failures on 20 units he purchased as a lot. NO WARRANTY... That's a 19% failure rate with the two of us. :eek:

Mike

Thanks for the warning, sorry to hear about the tube. I hope you find a good replacement soon.

And yep, we should all be careful with surplus on eBay. I've gotten some awesome deals, and I've gotten royally screwed before too. For instance there's that heruursciences guy - someone well known to sell crappily regassed argon tubes that only last for a few months and who was dragged into jail for throwing acid at the cops. Then again, I always hear about people getting good deals for him. And again on the flipside, the laser good deal I heard about him was a 500mW 640nm single-mode diode for $90, which I'm sure is BS considering I don't know of any 500mW single mode diodes, and especially not at 640nm, and especially not at that price. (okay, well there's my little rant about heruur, sorry!)

Gazoo

pseudonomen137 said:
For instance there's that heruursciences guy -

I have ordered 2 pairs of red diodes from him. These are rated at 100mw output. The first pair arrived within a couple of days. The second pair took over a week. I emailed him and he promptly replied with something about moving. So I don't think he is all too bad as long as one knows what they are getting from him.

Daedal

Are these the ones he bought for some $5 and is selling for $75?

DDL-
No - I think he got them from China and is selling them "Buy Now" for $199 plus $38 shipping. They are a nice piece of glassware but I don't think some (or all) were stress relieved after welding.

Mike

Gazoo

Daedal said:
Are these the ones he bought for some $5 and is selling for $75?

The diodes?? I don't know what he paid for them, and I did not pay $75. It really doesn't matter to me. I received what was described in the auction so I am happy. :)

Daedal

Sorry mike, Should have clarified a bit more, I was talking about Gazoo's diodes :p

--DDL

An ebay buyer contacted me yesterday 7/23 -- Seems his died after about an hour of use. Same failure - cracked. Ebay should do something about this crook - but they won't.

Mike

I have had similar problems. I recently lost 64 bucks to a similar crook who is selling dishsoap instead of ammonium nitrate, however, he has a disclaimer that says he does not take responsibility or warrant the product if used for anything other than "intended purpose", and while he mentions it can be used to fertilizing, it does have other common uses. I doubt dishsoap fertilizes well, however... So far I know of 6 complaints that were filed against him, including mine, which all fell through.

I was just about ready to order some Ammonium Nitrate off eBay, but I'm glad I saw this. What is his seller ID?