Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI GLP-577: The World's First Yellow Laser Pointer

Almost there ;) It was a special discounted price for me. I don't want to reveal it so people don't expect the same thing. The original price is the same you got for the lab unit.

Well, when you really consider it, with the discount the price isn't too bad for a relatively new DPSS wavelength added by CNI. It's quite amazing how orange 589 looks next to 577, really puts into perspective how orange looking our two most loved 589/594 lasers are.

:yh:
-Alex

I have to point out that even at $3000 it's considered cheap for this wavelength compared to other options in the market let alone having it in a pen. The cost here is for the optical assembly whether it's in a lab unit or pointer so don't look at it and say hey that is too much for a pointer. People with true passion for their hobbies are willing to spend crazy money to get the grails of that hobby.

Well, when you really consider it, with the discount the price isn't too bad for a relatively new DPSS wavelength added by CNI. It's quite amazing how orange 589 looks next to 577, really puts into perspective how orange looking our two most loved 589/594 lasers are.

:yh:
-Alex

I bet 589 will look yellow next to 615nm

Last edited:

Razako

Green dpss lasers where very expensive at one time too. I've heard they cost as much as $2000 maybe more even. My first one cost $450. In time these may come down in price.
Idk if rare stuff like handheld 577nm will come down much. That requires a decent demand for the product to drive manufacturing efficiency improvements. At $1500+ for a 3-5mw pointer, I doubt there will be much of any demand to drive this. Most professionals want a lab unit, and only the wealthiest of the hobby crowd can afford stuff like this.

It's a similar problem with 589 and 594 lasers. Haven't seen any significant price reduction or higher output over the past years. The DL units have actually gone UP in price.

Very impressive. Very beautiful wavelength. But still it is more profitable to buy an old gas (CVL or CuBr) laser or a DPSS for those thousands of dollars. At least you'll have 1 Watt of 577\578 nm. Sorry for criticising. By the way, my CVL is portable too -- the laser head has a handle on it for carrying. :yh::yh:

Only if it run on batteries too.

Last edited:
You know, with the original price CNI quoted you ($3K). Your nearing the ballpark of their 604/607 lab units. That'd be a pretty nice orange color. If I had to chose though, I'd probably have gone with 577 anyway :D

-Alex

Hurts so much now that CNI won't ship to the US. I'd pay for that. But as far as I know, us in the US these days can't even ask. I miss the old days..

There's a hole in my heart (err... Spectrum..) and it can only be filled by 577.

Last edited:
Hurts so much now that CNI won't ship to the US. I'd pay for that. But as far as I know, us in the US these days can't even ask. I miss the old days..

There's a hole in my heart (err... Spectrum..) and it can only be filled by 577.

Im sure CNI will still sell you the GLP module for 577. I know they'll do 561, I even asked! :)

-Alex

Yeah, I used to collect US postage stamps. I had an Aunt who had an enormous collection and every so often she would send me her cast offs..... like a Scott #1 on cover that sold for $2000.00 in 1980. Still, like LaserBuilder said, I'd rather put that money towards the parts to make that wavelength in a higher power, even if it is not handheld. Having the first 5 mW 577nm pointer doesn't do it for me. Having a 577nm labby doing 500 mW would.

Dr.Laser, I wanted to add my congratulations as well.
I didn't get a chance to respond to your wonderful thread yesterday.
What an amazing colour, such a beautiful refreshing WL.

Thank you for sharing your lovely new arrival.

cool12.gif

RB

Would be fun to set up another CNI GB hosted by someone outside the US. Though not now, because I'm out of laser money :p

Razako

I'm sure you could find a trustworthy EU member to help you out with that:whistle:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Would be fun to set up another CNI GB hosted by someone outside the US. Though not now, because I'm out of laser money :p

Yes, I miss the old days of CNI GB's, I got in on one of the last ones and bought my beautiful CNI PGL III 589nm, it sure would be nice to start working on some of those rarer wavelengths!

Idk if rare stuff like handheld 577nm will come down much. That requires a decent demand for the product to drive manufacturing efficiency improvements. At $1500+ for a 3-5mw pointer, I doubt there will be much of any demand to drive this. Most professionals want a lab unit, and only the wealthiest of the hobby crowd can afford stuff like this.

It's a similar problem with 589 and 594 lasers. Haven't seen any significant price reduction or higher output over the past years. The DL units have actually gone UP in price.
You may be right. What would give insight towards the practicality of a price drop is knowing how this unit produces yellow.