Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNC Laser 2017

PhiMX

Hi!

I do want to retrofit my CNC with a laser for cutting and engraving (In this order of importance).

Somewhere in the forum I read this line by DTR regarding the best laser for engraving application:
"If you want finer engraving you can get more detail as you go down in power. NDB7A75, NDB7875, PLTB450B and then BDR-209."

Does this, the other way round also apply for cutting power? So, NDB7A75 is best, NDB7875 is second and so on..

I saw that NDB7A75 is out of stock at DTR´s and has gone VEEERY expensive on other sites.. why´s that? No more in production?

NUBM44 sounds tempting because of the high power, but since it produces more of a line than a spot where the power is distributed on, It might well be that a laser with less power but more concentrated on the spot is better for cutting. Someone said cutting with the NUBM44 is more like writing with a calligraphy pen.. fine in one direction, broad in the other.. I wonder if rotating the laser into the cutting axis would make it a good laser for this application... but that´s another story (of reading gcode and applying some math and then driving a 4th rotational axis accordingly)

So, what to buy if I want clean cuts that do need as little passes as possible? I Don´t want to do production cutting so speed doesn´t matter for me. If my wooden board for a prototype takes 5 hours instead of 5 minutes that´s almost also fine for me...
What to get right now in the beginning of 2017?

Last edited:

PhiMX

I can't believe nobody of the regulars is able to comment on this, especially the tradesmen here...
Is there a reason why nobody comments on this?

Like look it up dude, the answer is so obvious?
-I don't think so...

Best regards

Encap

I can't believe nobody of the regulars is able to comment on this, especially the tradesmen here...
Is there a reason why nobody comments on this?

Like look it up dude, the answer is so obvious?
-I don't think so...

Best regards

This thread has been dead for 8 months--please do not necro-post if yoou have nothing meaningful to add. Is very frownd on.

You did not do a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum --- is necessary if you expect any real help

You can look here for low cost reasonable good quality CNC engraving heads based on NUBM44 diodes.
OptLasers: https://optlasers.com/en/15-cnc-3d-lasers?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_qxlrGF1wIVyFmGCh2oKgi7EAAYASAAEgITIfD_BwE

Look here for laser CNC cutting heads: Laser cutting head - All industrial manufacturers - Videos and google surces yourself

Last edited:
I'm Kinda glad this came up because I was going to start a new thread. Long ago, a number of us bought a small etcher kit which included a Blu laser at low power. I have played with it occasionally but recently converted to a DTR 209 diode with an adjustable power supply. Although the laser focuses to a point, the cuts look like hell hit the target and now I believe that the smoke is blurring the beam on my cheep wood! I have a small fan to install.
Also, is there any other simple program which will drive this little toy?

12085-laseretch.jpg

The display is LD current (adjustable) and it provides low threshold output for setup and switchover to burn.

HM

Last edited:

Encap

I'm Kinda glad this came up because I was going to start a new thread. Long ago, a number of us bought a small etcher kit which included a Blu laser at low power. I have played with it occasionally but recently converted to a DTR 209 diode with an adjustable power supply. Although the laser focuses to a point, the cuts look like hell hit the target and now I believe that the smoke is blurring the beam on my cheep wood! I have a small fan to install.
Also, is there any other simple program which will drive this little toy?
[/IMG]

The display is LD current (adjustable) and it provides low threshold output for setup and switchover to burn.

HM

Interesting--you should start a thread about it as it is very far away from being a CNC machine that can "machine" cut many materials.

Last edited:
Encap --
You are right about that but there is a big difference between engraving and cutting. Most of us here don't have the desire to build a 40 to 100+ Watt CNC system. I enjoy etching (engraving) small wood pieces and this old inexpensive kit was then basic fun. People ask me what I do with the lasers and I show them my etchings!

12086-laseretch2.jpg

This will cut paper and the OP asked about laser diodes in the 1 Watt range.
HM

Last edited:

Encap

Encap --
You are right about that but there is a big difference between engraving and cutting. Most of us here don't have the desire to build a 40 to 100+ Watt CNC system. I enjoy etching (engraving) small wood pieces and this old inexpensive kit was then basic fun. People ask me what I do with the lasers and I show them my etchings! This will cut paper and the OP asked about laser diodes in the 1 Watt range.
HM

Agree and that was my point--you should start a new thread about that--the OP in this thread and the title are about CNC machine laser cutting as well as engraving with it info

diachi

This thread has been dead for 8 months--please do not necro-post if yoou have nothing meaningful to add. Is very frownd on.

OP is posting in his own thread. Bumping is allowed. :whistle:

Encap

OP is posting in his own thread. Bumping is allowed. :whistle:

Fair comment, I guess

A Welcome thread post might help elicit some response.

This thread is 8 months old and nothing new just whining was posted.
Maybe the OP will bump it again June 2018

i built a 60W co2 cnc laser cutter a while back. i can't imagine being satisfied using a low powered 445 multimode diode vs. the higher power and better specs of a co2 laser.

here's my rig cutting some paper for an art project i'll post about later. ;)

Encap

i built a 60W co2 cnc laser cutter a while back. i can't imagine being satisfied using a low powered 445 multimode diode vs. the higher power and better specs of a co2 laser.

here's my rig cutting some paper for an art project i'll post about later. ;)

Agreed. 445nm is a toy and not problem free usable by comparison.

Nice work--looks good and works very well

Last edited:
My post #8 shows some fun stuff my little
CNC can do to small wood placks. I'm trying
to get more power to achieve a deeper burn.
HM

Last edited:
A Beautiful Laser Engraving Machine and 40W C02 Cut, Chinese Manufactory!
Large white and celestial rectangle! On Amazon you find it cheap ...!
IMO