Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[CLOSED] Starting gas for a pretty good price

Re: Starting gas for a pretty good price. [collecting payments]

Ok, I've gotten everyone's payments except Ray, but he's talked to me and we are working something out. I went ahead and placed the order this afternoon a bit pre-emptively and I should have it in a couple days.

Last edited:

Just paid. :beer:

Yep I just got it just don't forget to send me your shipping information :)

OK, shipping info sent.

By the by before I sleep, I got an update that the lasers are in the mail. They should be here on Monday.

ultimatekaiser, that is awesome. Can't wait to get mine. Could you measure the power on it for me as it could be a month or so before I build or buy a PSU for it.

I will clean, measure, and prep them all, as well as create basic instructions for all of the tubes before I send them out :)

Look what came in the mail today! :)

IMG_1340_zpscac345b7.jpg

Only one has any kind of notable damage. the OC has a minor chip/deformation on it but is healthy and sealed, and lasing away happily on my desk as we speak.

IMG_1341_zps26351c11.jpg

Evidently, these tubes I didn't even register that they were P models not R models, so they are also polarized! this makes the deal even sweeter, as adding the brewster plate to the anode makes the tube come at quite a premium. which would explain why these are around half a mW rather than 1mW or so. I was interested as to why they were low output, but this evidently is the reason. :) we got a nice deal on these! I have a few extras too, so we have a margin of error if one is broken. (not that we want that) but I'm pretty good at getting tubes around unbroken in the mail. despite only ordering 11, they appear to have just sent me the whole box. probably since they've been sitting as commercial demand for these as other than parts for micrometers and stuff is fairly low. I'll also note that these tubes are NEW not USED SURPLUS. so ordinarily they'd normally be several hundred dollars each! I'll also note that the divergence on these is simply incredible. far better than most little tubes. I can shine it across my room and it isn't quite the size of a dime by the time it gets there - impressive as most little tubes have divergences usually far far worse. one of the others I have is as big as the palm of my hand at the same distance. these far exceeded my expectations.

I'll test them later as I'm off to work in a short bit, but I'll give them all a good cleaning and testing/metering before shipping them out I am off tomorrow, so I hope to get most of them done ASAP. I'll PM each member as I ship them out. The end is in sight! I hope you all enjoy these beauties. there's something charming about these little tubes that I can't explain, and I really hope they'll all have a loving home coming to them. certainly better than sitting in that box forever more. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Awesome!!! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks, ultimatekaiser. Is there a chance to get a PSU for mine still? If so, how much more would I need to send you?

Last edited:

Wonderful! Nice to know that they are polarized and NEW. I'm glad I decided to get two.

Hehe yes they're quite the little treasures. I still feel all giddy looking over them :)

Nice! NOS is great news. Guess I should go poke around the gas forum for the input specs on that PSU of mine. Looks like I may have to get out my gas lasers this weekend and have some fun!

Fantastic news!

Re: Starting gas for a pretty good price [testing and shipping]

I may have missed the answer to this question, but are we going to get tracking information on these as they are sent out? Just wondering.

All lasers are now tested working, and light healthy with no issues. (didn't think any were damaged anyway) Aside from a few minor scratches in the glass envelopes on one or two, these bad boys look good to go!

I'll randomly assign them to members, and then clean and meter them and start shipping as soon as I can, that way it is fair to everyone.

It is also noteworthy to mention that as these tubes are new, they man (probably) increase in power somewhat after being run for a number of hours :) frequently I see new tubes that slowly increase in output as they clean up the last of whatever minor contaminates were in the fill, and other factors, as they get 'broken in'. we may just have a few surprise tubes in the batch!

I may have missed the answer to this question, but are we going to get tracking information on these as they are sent out? Just wondering.

yes. I'll PM members as their boxes are shipped.

:D I can wait. I love how bare HeNe tubes look when they run.

What exactly does polarization mean/do?