Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cleaning tarnish on lasers

Hi,

i have been making some leadlight blu-ray lasers and i have been using one quite a bit. now there is tons of tarnish on the laser and it dosent looks too good so does anyone know how i could clean the laser as to remove the discoloration on the back side of the laser

Thanks,
Mitch

ps. it is like 98 degrees out right now so i am really sweating and that is accelerating the tarnishing

I had the same thing happen with my old leadlight, the tarnish was only around where my fingers held it. It almost looks like copper, but sorry I don't know how to fix it.

It depends on if it truly is tarnish on the surface of the metal, or if its the top coating wearing away to expose the brass underneath (if they're made of brass that is... I really don't know). If it is an actual buildup on the surface, I would try using some metal or chrome polish and see if that works. You can also try some silver or brass cleaner as well. Good luck!

i tried some silver polish but it had minimal effects. my hands were really sweaty that one day and that is when the tarnish or wear appeard. i really havnt used it that much. i will see what i can do.

THanks,
Mitch