Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Classifying Lasers

fireguard

Greetings all
Still really, really, really new to lasers and I would like some advice/ assistance if possible.
First up, sorry if this is not the correct forum, but seemed closest to the mark.
I am trying to classify a laser ie Class, 3B, 3R, 2, 2M etc, with a 460nm wavelength, an output diameter of 100mm and 0.5mrad.
What I would like to know is:
a. Is there some form of cheat sheet to cross reference this and classify the laser?
b. Is there some sort of software (preferably freeware) that calculates the class?
c. Finally, what the class for this laser actually is? I have an idea, but have no way of confirming it.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
(looking forward to a steadily increasing involvement in the field)

Aaaa

Encap

What Country are you in?
Too lazy to use Google?
It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to determine the Classification of a laser product and follow all laws, rules and regulations concerning lasers. There is no laser made that is not already Classified by the manufacturer--ask the manufacturer if you are not sure.
If you had the knowledge to make a laser you would already know so...

No there is no software program that eliminates the use of a brain or having the pertinent basic data about a laser
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Classification and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

"The classification of a laser is based on the concept of accessible emission limits (AEL) that are defined for each laser class. This is usually a maximum power (in W) or energy (in J) that can be emitted in a specified wavelength range and exposure time that passes through a specified aperture stop at a specified distance. For infrared wavelengths above 4 μm, it is specified as a maximum power density (in W/m2)"
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Classification

You are missing the most important piece of information, output power--- you can't determine or even guess class by the information you have given. Clearly you have no idea of what you are talking about.
Laser Classes are determined by biological hazard/output power density in mW/cm2 of the source.
PS. there are no lasers with a 100mm output diameter and very few 460nm of any type - pointer or lab type so...if this is an imagined/make believe laser or a daydream it has no classification--laser classification is a real world physical thing not imagined or hypothetical.

See: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html and https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/

In USA FDA has authority over all lasers of any kind for any purpose --see FDA laws, rules and regulations. Start here and follow all FDA links, see: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?FR=1040.10

Last edited:

fireguard

To the collective, I apologise as I failed to include the output power of 14.3mW. With the beam divergence as .5mrad.

Please do not worry that I will make the same mistake again, I will not be bothering anyone in this forum with my questions.

As for specific questions.

I had in fact goggled the question and as you correctly pointed out there does not seem to be any place that you can confirm an outcome. I had calculated the class of laser as a 3R. In the calculations I discovered that not all the power was measured through the aperture as the diameter for condition 1 was larger than the 50mm as set out in the standards. These are the type of things that I was hoping to discuss with people that had more experience in the field.

Again you are correct that manufacturers are required to supply this information, however there are times that you may be required to calculate the class.

However not having access to another person with the experience to guide me and offer advice, I turned to this forum for some assistance

As I mentioned I am extremely new to the laser world and this example was offered to me for some practice to get me ready for the rigors of training. I do not know if this is a real world laser and as for the output diameter, I am not sure why that was selected, but it was given and hence that is what I used In the calculation.

Again, to the collective, I will not be bothering you again.

Encap

A 14.3mW laser is what it-- is not a Class 3R laser between 1 and 4.99mW.

Is a Class 3B laser---meaning it is between 5mW and 499mW.

You do not calculate a laser's 'Class'.
You use a Laser Power Meter to determine the output power of the source of the laser radiation.

A laser's Class is based on output of the source of the laser light .
You can attach a cinder block or a brick or a rock to the front of a laser of a Class 4 laser completely blocking any/all output and it is still a Class 4 laser with a brick blocking the output. You can attach a lens or filter that reduces the output of a Class 4 laser to the output of a Class 3B and the laser is still a Class 4 laser.

As mentioned above there are no 460nm lasers with a 100mm aperture. Could be true of a completely assembled device which includes a laser as component part but that still does not change the Class of the laser component part.

There is no laser Class determination possible for either a laser or an assembled device containing a laser as a component part without knowing the real world output power of the laser and/or the real world output power of a device that incorporates a laser as a component part. That is only possible with a Laser Power Meter. It can not be calculated,--is not imaginary---is an actual real world fact that is observed to exist. You measure a lasers output with a Laser Power Meter---simple

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Probably a typo by Encap, but Class 3B is 5-499mW. Anything within that band is a Class 3B laser. It really is that simple.

Please do not be so sensitive. Perhaps your next question should be sent as PM to any vet including Encap (or me).
BUT
.First do a LPF search and another google search. If you get no results try different search terms. 100mm is a flashlight size beam BTW... not a laser beam.
We are always in need of new members. so stick around--it DOES get easier.

also-- plz place your location (just general, is OK) in your personal profile.
It is also good to place that in the TITLE of your 'intro' thread placed in our welcome/newcomers section=-- you have said you are a newcomer so... nothing beats getting help in person. I bet we have a member close enough for hands-on help OR MYB a LEM you can attend---these gatherings are awesome meets- we have a great time every time...you would really enjoy!!

hak