Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Class IIIB handhelds

Hi all,

Its been a dream of mine for 5+ years since i discovered greenies that I have wanted a handheld. Now that I finally have the means to get one, Id like to make sure Im making the right investment.

Im leaning towards optotronics, but after CNI replied to my price inquiry Im not really sure. For $1235, I could get a >750mW PGL-III-C, compared to $1500 for a >450mW unit from optotronics. I know from first hand experience that Jack is great to work with, and will back his products. At the same time though, CNI has been around for quite a while now, and continues to expand their product line... doesnt that mean that they are doing well?

Comparing the units themselves, the RPL seems to be a bit smaller, and not quite as ugly ha. Ive heard that the divergence on the RPL is a bit lower, offering a much tighter beam. Is it a significant difference?

Has anyone owned one of these super-powered PGL-III-C's for an extended period of time? Has anyone had issues with this unit or one like it, and had to deal with warranty issues with CNI?

Please let me know what you think. Pics would be helpful if you have em

RA_pierce ordered a 400mW PGL-III-C and it did about 700mW upon arrival. He's since turned it down, but he got a very good deal on it. If you DO order a CNI portable, go through one of the Group Buys organized by scopeguy20 (Glenn), he's a super nice guy and gets us incredible deals on their products. Best of luck deciding, enjoy whichever laser you eventually decide upon, and be safe.

Edit: RA_pierce DIDN'T turn down his PGL, my bad. But he may yet do so :eg:

Last edited:
Hey there.
I have a 400mW rated PGL-III-C. It does ~650mW average.
I wrote a review and a re-review a couple months after the initial review.
It still impresses me after several months of use.
There is a link to the review(s) in my signature. I also have pictures and videos floating around various parts of the forum.
If you want more info or links just ask!

Edit:
It looks like Prototype got here first.
Just FYI I haven't turned it down. I'm happy with its performance and don't plan on taking it apart just yet :p
When the warranty expires I may try to gain a little more stability with some minor modifications.

Hi all,

Its been a dream of mine for 5+ years since i discovered greenies that I have wanted a handheld. Now that I finally have the means to get one, Id like to make sure Im making the right investment.

Im leaning towards optotronics, but after CNI replied to my price inquiry Im not really sure. For $1235, I could get a >750mW PGL-III-C, compared to $1500 for a >450mW unit from optotronics. I know from first hand experience that Jack is great to work with, and will back his products. At the same time though, CNI has been around for quite a while now, and continues to expand their product line... doesnt that mean that they are doing well?

Comparing the units themselves, the RPL seems to be a bit smaller, and not quite as ugly ha. Ive heard that the divergence on the RPL is a bit lower, offering a much tighter beam. Is it a significant difference?

Has anyone owned one of these super-powered PGL-III-C's for an extended period of time? Has anyone had issues with this unit or one like it, and had to deal with warranty issues with CNI?

Please let me know what you think. Pics would be helpful if you have em

Last edited:
Wow, it shows that you have done your research! Those are both wonderful lasers. As posted earlier, Glenn works closely with CNI and could definitely save you some money. Either way, though, you will not go wrong.

-Mark

Glenn does you right every time if you think you may upgrade Jacks da man to see

Emc2

Hi. I have the RPL-425 from Optotronics that is awesome. Take in mind the CNI laser have a much faster beam divergence and the spot grows quickly, Jacks RPL series have the lowest divergence in the industry, typically 0.8~1.0mrad and that really makes a difference over long distances. Also the RPL series have the finest crystals and diodes available, very good craftsmanship. These RPL's are definately at the pro level.

-Todd