Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

class 3 lasers illegal?

i spent about 3h on google but i couldn't find any info
so maybe you guys and girls ;) know is it legal to go outdoor and play with class 3 (125mw) laser?

(i not gonna point it to peoples, animals, cars, planes...)

i live in UK (london)

Razako

Technically it's not legal to do that but you should be fine as long as you don't do it in front of cops or people who want to snitch on you.

What do you mean by its "Technically" not legal to do that, so shining a laser at the sky or around while I walk around is "Technically" illegal? What law am I breaking?

Razako

xJumper said:
What do you mean by its "Technically" not legal to do that, so shining a laser at the sky or around while I walk around is "Technically" illegal? What law am I breaking?
In the UK you aren't supposed to use or have laser pointers that are over 1mw. It's a stupid law and most people ignore it. Just be smart about it and you should be fine. Unless you point it at airplanes or shine it around in front of the cops they can't really do anything to enforce the rules.

Chad

Technically, you're breaking the law by owning an illegal device. (unless it's FDA-sanctioned, like the RPLs and them)
Really, the authorities can't really do anything about it unless you do something stupid, like point it at people, planes or cars or something... in the US anyhow. Not quite sure about the UK. :p

in the uk, no shops are really allowed to sell lasers over 1mw.
however there is no law which states that owning a high powered laser is illegal. if police were to investigate a laser related incident, it would depend on where the laser was shined, who was around at the time and what was likely to be exposed by the laser etc.
in most cases, probably the laser is confiscated.

:( i was thinking about switching off street lights but i don't wanna get my 400$ laser to be confiscated ><

Here in the US lasers are generally treated rather like BB guns - as long as you don't point them at people, or in the case of a BB gun, shoot out your neighbor's window, shoot at someone, etc. Just common sense stuff.

If you do that stuff and get caught you get charged with destruction of property, assault, whatever - the issue is not that you have a BB gun (or high-powered laser) - it's what you do or don't do with it.

you know that i dont think that they have a power meter so why not just put a sticker on it that says it is a 1mw and you should be fine unless they have a way of testing it.

Razako

FS-SNIPE said:
you know that i dont think that they have a power meter so why not just put a sticker on it that says it is a 1mw and you should be fine unless they have a way of testing it.
That actually sounds like a good idea. You can put the sticker from a radioshack greenie on your good laser and then you can claim that it is a fully legal <5mw if you ever get in trouble with it. I don't think the cops regularly carry around coherent laserchecks so it might work.

Hey Razako, is that (7 mW output from your Vega) in your sig. a reliable tested level of output? If a meter was used what kind? When I tested it, I had no meter, but thought it looked to be a little higher than 7mW. ATB! Glenn

Razako

scopeguy20 said:
Hey Razako, is that (7 mW output from your Vega) in your sig. a reliable tested level of output? If a meter was used what kind? When I tested it, I had no meter, but thought it looked to be a little higher than 7mW. ATB! Glenn
That's a guestimate based on how bright it looks alongside a 5mw green. I'll have a lasercheck soon and then I'll be able to find its true output.