Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Choice of lasers for burning power?

lv128

I have a choice right now to either get a 780nm 1W laser diode or a 860nm 1W diode with TEC cooling on it. Which would provide the most burning power from a distance of 1-2 feet with proper optics? If my primary goal is burning/cutting white twine. Any recommendations which wavelength would be more useful?

Grix

IR usually burns white stuff very bad. If it's in your budget, maybe a 8x blu-ray build would be more suitable.

lv128

I understand it that CO2 is IR though, albeit at a much higher wavelength 10600nm, but are both of those (780/860) in the IR spectrum? Even at 1W power? I already have a PHR blu-ray setup and it's not sufficient at ~110mw would the 8x make that much of a difference at only 200mw?
Thanks for the input!

lv128

Well I have two 8x units coming in tomorrow for harvesting, they're LG WH08LS20 they do 8x BD-R and 4X BD-R DL, I do have one of Larry's lenses, and I think the driver I have (from modwerx) is capable of doing 300/350 but I'll have to machine a heatsink for it, since I don't think it's going to run long without one or in just a regular aixis module. I guess I'll let everyone know the results on that unit since I don't think anyone has harvested it yet.

lv128

I came up with another question if anyone has an answer... how hard would it be to join the two 8x diodes I'm going to get into a fiber setup? Anyone have any resources/websites/etc for such resources like a fiber coupler?

ZRTMWA

I don't know much (or anything) about "fiber setups" but if you're just trying to join two 8x's there are other optics you can use.