Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chinese pointer DPSS cutting back power

When I first bought it, it was steady on. Now it cuts back power after on for a second or so. It is a dpss running on a 18650 fully charged battery.

It goes on, and then gets dimmer a bit later.

For some reason, the circuit is cutting power to the diode.

Can I
A. increase the current by adding another battery in parallel (transfering the guts to another host)

B. Increase the voltage from say, appx 4.1 to maybe 5 or so?

It could be the diode, but I think its more likely to be the supply circuit to the diode which is not operating in a buck/boost fashion.

The host looks like a simple (not fancy) flashlight with a endcap that blocks the beam and has a key to activate it in back.

mecker@peoplepc.com[/B][/I][/U][/SIZE]

hopeful7 -- I know folks who come in and hear "Try a different battery" may think we're dismissing them, "oh, the batteries are dead" -- No, that's not the case.

Around here, it's a little different. What Arshus said shoudln't just be swept aside. If this is runinng a LiIon battery, chances are its *capacity* is dying, more likely than the driver circuit dying.

So its not exactly "is your battery charged" -- its more, "If this is a rechargeable, it may be nearing its end of life, it may not be able to put out much current or hold a charge anymore, even if your charger says it was full".

So, seriously -- What kind of battery does it have in it? 18650 ? RCR123? LiIon? This could be thie issue much more likely than the laser.

Arshus

It is a dpss running on a 18650 fully charged battery.

He mentions it in the OP, but what aryntha said is true, thats why I mentioned it in the first place. It seems to be a battery issue.

-Sal

ESPECIALLY if it's a "chinese 'included' 18650" that came with the laser. A lot of these are reject cells from laptop battery manufacturing "attempts". They're basically near cycle EOL when you get them.

i know this effekt

i disassembled some of the TRUE Greens

i use a regulated 3 V Power Supply - still dimms

...?