Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Checking in after a Long time away, and sharing my drone product lineup

Well it's been a very long time since I last checked in here. Life situations, having 2 kids, going through some rough financial patches and dealing with some significant car accident injuries have kept me away. The last time I frequented here I was just beginning the patent process on a modular spectral beam combining cavity/structure, and since then I was able to make some significant progress and get things filed, however as many of you may know the patent process is not a quick and easy one and in short I'm still waiting... Being that I paid out of pocket for everything from r&d to machinery (CNC 3axis) and patent costs as well as the enormous amount of time spent let alone putting my wife through college at a major University, I put myself in a pretty bad financial situation. Anyhow, in short I eventually decided to focus my efforts and what little business capital I had left into another, more readily profitable market. This is where I segway into the Drone market.

Now I don't want this to come off as an advertisement for my products, I'm just sharing my work. So If anyone finds interest in this beyond commenting please PM me and I'll link you to my website and numerous threads on an RC forum.

I got involved in FPV (first person view) RC devices, namely Nano class quadrotors and begun to develop my own airframes utilizing the knowledge I gained working on full scale aircraft (private jets and helicopters) a number of years ago. The intention is to develop, test and sell these products in the hobby capacity and move to the commercial application for use by firefighters, structure inspection, private investigation, repossession, reconnaissance, search and rescue etc. The key is that they are very small and lightweight and therefore pose very little danger to the operator and bystanders. So after numerous prototypes I came up with my first viable airframe known as the Carbon Nano.

t5943457-241-thumb-CAM00171.jpg

It boasts a 5.8Ghz FPV live video transmission, 2.4Ghz controller with integrated LCD screen and long range antennas.

After many hours of testing, forming connections with a suppler of true aerospace grade carbon fiber fabric, designing molds and refining components, I was able to develop 3 formidable Nano class drones....

The CNV2 Blackbird

t6269925-219-thumb-CAM00814.jpg

The CNV3 Satellite (Worlds smallest commercially available drone with onboard HD recording + FPV live video transmission)

t6280336-142-thumb-CNV3%20complete.jpg

And, in just the past several days, the Nano Folding Quad

t6410033-239-thumb-CAM01241%5B1%5D.jpg

t6410210-122-thumb-CAM01256%5B1%5D.jpg

I can't tell you all how much it helped me working with lasers and micro sized electronics associated to be able to develop these devices. I have serous plans to marry the two technologies with the intention of implementing IR laser emitters to enable night flying, even at high altitude and in complete darkness.

I'll leave you all with some onboard footage, I hope you enjoy it and possibly spark an interest in getting involved in your own tinkering with FPV devices and maybe even the marriage of them and lasers!

Onboard the Satellite... (select 720p for best image)

Onboard the Blackbird... (select 480p for best image)

Onboard the New NFQ... (select 720p for best image)

Same video from the 3rd person perspective...

PS. Can someone update me on the latest and greatest in the laser community? Direct diode greenies? Higher power 445nm's or 405nm's.

Thanks and happy lasing to you all! :beer:

Regards,
James Ramsey

ped

Ok , that's insane!

One of my next projects is a FPV drone but I cant find anywhere with a good price / quality ratio.

Yours are superb.

Wow! Fantastic work. Best wishes on successful sales. Would love to get links you mentioned, but I must admit that your products are probably out of me budget range.

Things

Awesome! I just built a larger quad a while back but haven't really dived into FPV yet, but it's definitely on my to do list.

Those quads you've made would be great, very minimal damage if you were to hit someone/something with it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the comments.

Yeah the folding design is kind of dual purpose, minimizes crash damage and makes it truly "pocketable"
I'm working on testing a control board that works with a smartphone app to allow the user to decide whether they want to travel light and just carry the aircraft and their phone to get aerial footage OR take a good quality Tx with them for long range and precision flying. There is that tradeoff though... the app control isn't as user friendly with respect to accurate control-ability and it's range is limited to about 80-100 meters, but it eliminates the need to carry a bulky transmitter. On the other hand the professional Tx enables range of about 650-700 meters out of the box and upwards of mile with simple antenna mods, as well as being very precise for what we call proximity flying, fast aggressive and low altitude flight usually weaving between trees and non-line of sight flying.

@ Things, just wait until the first time you try FPV. Holy cow it's likes being right there in the pilots seat... all the thrill, non of the danger. It's especially exciting using video goggles as it becomes completely immersive and all you see is what the aircraft sees. I have to warn you though, it's addictive!

Last edited: