Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheaper blue laser pointers!!!

When people first go to buy a point and shoot camera, one of the first tips I give them is that: for the same amount of $$, the larger the camera is, the better the camera will be (in general). IE, a Canon powershot A series versus those slim Exilims, at the same price point, is a no-brained. The Exilim will lose horrible in comparison.

From what I've seen of both lasers, the exact same is the case with the Aurora versus the RPL blue.

If you NEED that small size, feel free to pay the huge premium for it - there's no denying the Aurora had the RPL beat in size. Personally though, I'm a laser hobbyist, not a portable casing hobbyist. When I can get a better laser with better beam specs, more power, and at a lower price, the choice is obvious for me. I'm not gunna pay hundreds of hard-earned dollars extra to get a crappier laser if pocketability is my only compromise.

I agree with pseudo... size is not a compromise for quality. But I'm sure there is a balance between quality and size... If it is only 5mW, why not stick it in a casing like the Galileo from Laserglow? It would have better heat sinking than a pen sized laser and it is still small enough to carry in a pocket if you feel it is necessary. I think it would be neat to see a miniaturized version of the RPLs.

T

timelord

darklandz said:
^amen to that ^
You act as if pseudo is a god :-? His point is valid and he's a knowledgeable young man but being a distributer of laser pointers could now push him in to biased territory. Carter it's not a pop at you please don't read it this way, but a mere observation....

the fact remains that they are different lasers... targetting different audiences
to me size does matter
after i sell my hulk, i'll be sticking to pen sized lasers

Timelord said:
[quote author=darklandz link=1196334499/15#17 date=1196449485]^amen to that ^
You act as if pseudo is a god  :-? His point is valid and he's a knowledgeable young man but being a distributer of laser pointers could now push him in to biased territory.  Carter it's not a pop at you please don't read it this way, but a mere observation.... [/quote]

No problem. I'm definitely not a god - can't disagree there. Well.... I was a Wicked Lasers God ;) (a lot of good that was!). I feel I should try to explain myself though:

I may be a distributor from time to time, but I'm a distributor for CNI (makes Aurora) as well as Viasho (makes RPL) from time to time. Back when CNI first started making their small portable blues, I bought two 2mWs at about $900 apiece. They were horrible units contantly in TEM01, pulsed, and varying problems arised. That was the first and only time I demanded a full refund from the manufacturer because they were horrible units.

With the RPL Blues, one of which I also purchased from Jack early on, they were great. They beat the CNI's hands down other than a little IR leakage and the size. The RPLs were far cheaper, better beam specs, not pulsed, etc.

Not to mention I can't beat Jack's price on the 5mW blue (well, I will on the one unit I have, but other than that I'm out - his price is too damn low).

I do resell tested lasers from various places here and there, but I try my best to offer a level of honesty unparalleled by anyone else while keeping prices better than reasonable. For me its just a hobby. I do make a profit when all goes well in a deal, but I often lose $$, and even when I do make profit, its not like its ever going to get even remotely close to paying off the equipment I use to test the lasers I sell. So yeah, I try to test as many lasers as I can and give my honest, unbiased opinions as best I can. There are, of course, differences in opinion: I can completely understand why some people would prefer a small blue unit, but to me its just not worth hundreds of extra $$s.

*eyes off timelord*
amen to that :p
he does have a point, both of you, but if carter distributes both sorts I don't think he can be called biased. (actually, i didn't know CNI did auroras so I would have agreed w/ timelord)

Milos

Yehes, both good points!

and
Yes. CNI makes this model of blue, and btw they just went up to <40mW with it. (see the home page)
I take that's the reason for <20mW and below price drop.

In all honesty, I agree with pseudo's size vs quality camera comparison to portable units. I used to think different back in the days when I considered all of them "just a different color pointers" But I know different now.
GLP473 as they call them are the one size I like the most of small "pointers" as it is neither too thin nor too much as large microphone someone mentioned RPL/PGL series resemble. I personally would prefer RPL as it has much longer duty cycle, CW beam, and more potential for stability and future power increase.

All in all, it is a matter of choice and both have their size/design advantage. No reason to call anyone a god.