Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap safety glasses

Amazon.com: Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens: Home Improvement

I was skeptical of these, so I did some digging and found Uvex is made by Honeywell, which is a respectable company. http://www.uvex.us/

I also found this PDF file with specs on the SCT-Orange coating... It has a nice graph of the wavelengths, but here is some of the key text...

http://www.uvex.us/uploadedFiles/Uvex_Lens_Tech_Broch(1).pdf

"SCT-Orange offers a wide range of spectral protection. It absorbs >99.9% of potentially harmful UVA and UVB radiation. It further provides protection by completely absorbing visible light up to 540nm, which includes violet, blue and certain green wavelengths of light..."

Any thoughts?

Tom

Last edited:

They are not laser protection glasses. If someone put them through rigorous tests against an LPM and decided what the OD rating of them is, that's a different story. Until then, don't even consider these, your eyes aren't worth the risk.

I ordered a pair and I am really impressed with them so far. I will put my LaserBee A to the test, but I am pretty sure these are going to be a good, inexpensive eyewear for violet, blue and green lasers.

ts

SCT-orange is the only one that would cover the range he mentioned.

Attachments

• Uvex SCT-orange transmission graph 800.png
    Uvex SCT-orange transmission graph 800.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,030
I just typed a long post and lost it, so here is the short version...

Amazon.com: Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens: Home Improvement

I bought these and ran a 70mW 405 through the glasses into my LaserBee A and I couldn't even get a coherent dot to focus on the thermopile. The meter never even moved a milliwatt.

That along with the obvious drastic effect when you wear them makes me feel very good about these glasses.

I will try to test green tomorrow. I have a 63mW 532 that I'll test.

These really are a great deal and a good way to get goggles for the whole family or have spares for friends.

The specs also back this up.

I am ordering some cheap goggles for red as well and will test hem too.

ts

Last edited:
Disappointing that your original long post was lost.
If your 532nm isn't IR filtered (most inexpensive ones aren't) you will likely read some IR on the LPM. If your interested, heres a good small IR filter & some other larger ones.
You wouldn't have a 445nm laser by chance? :D

Last edited:
Cheap & Safety do not go hand in hand. Think....'worth my eye sight'....and spend the extra couple of bucks for the real deal.:beer:

Edit:
These are a couple of the goggles that I use if anyone is interested. They seem to work quite well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Pair-190-540nm-800-2000nm-Laser-Safety-Goggles-/160676840821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569160575#ht_967wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Pair-190-470nm-610-760nm-Laser-Safety-Goggles-/160719752226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ba4cc22#ht_914wt_1396

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't place these SCT-orange glasses much below eagle pair (as long as I've tested them well myself). I mean to me the bottom line is eagle pair aren't certified like OEM. They are chinese made & while they may be meant for laser use by whoever manufactures them I'm sure they are made under lesser control then certified glasses.
I know eagle pair have always tested well & I do have a link to them in my signature but I guess short of certified its all suspect to me. Wouldn't want to trust any of them with higher power lasers.

Last edited:
^THIS. lol. Would be very interested to see how much of a 1W or more 445nm they block and for how long.

I have a 1.0-1.3 W survival 445 on the way. I'll test it when it gets here.

As for cheap and safe, I believe that you CAN have both. Tech gets inexpensive over time and these glasses are made by Honeywell and the specs are solid, so a little testing with a LaserBee should confirm this.

Also, a lot of places need visitor glasses that are cheap, maybe not super comfy, but block the necessary wavelengths and that is fine for a hobby. These UVEX glasses look suspiciously like the same specs as the $40 versions found elsewhere.

Additionally, I am ordering four sets so my whole family can have them, if I can get a set for $8 then that adds up to a big savings.

Finally, there are a lot of people on here that want LASERS and safety glasses look like an expensive accessory. If we could find a CHEAP, safe solution we might have more users that are actually buying and using them.

A cheap set of safety glasses that are bought and worn are better than a nice set that aren't ever purchased.

ts

I have a 1.0-1.3 W survival 445 on the way. I'll test it when it gets here.

As for cheap and safe, I believe that you CAN have both. Tech gets inexpensive over time and these glasses are made by Honeywell and the specs are solid, so a little testing with a LaserBee should confirm this.

Also, a lot of places need visitor glasses that are cheap, maybe not super comfy, but block the necessary wavelengths and that is fine for a hobby. These UVEX glasses look suspiciously like the same specs as the $40 versions found elsewhere.

Additionally, I am ordering four sets so my whole family can have them, if I can get a set for $8 then that adds up to a big savings.

Finally, there are a lot of people on here that want LASERS and safety glasses look like an expensive accessory. If we could find a CHEAP, safe solution we might have more users that are actually buying and using them.

A cheap set of safety glasses that are bought and worn are better than a nice set that aren't ever purchased.

ts
NO

Laser safety glasses usually aren't very high tech compared to our lasers, but that not the point! As a side note a laserbee has just like nearly every thermal laser power meter a too limited dynamic range to measure even average OD's. Besides that the OD is definately not the only thing glasses need to have. Laser safety glasses need to comply to a long list of standard in order to meet the standards they're certified to. It's not just a piece of plastic, laser safety glasses are made to give absolute certainty regarding it's performance. That's NOT easy!

Everybody want cheap, but no place ever has cheap visitor glasses because in every professional settings laser safety is taken serious. Looks alone don't say a thing.

You're not saving ANYTHING with cheap glasses! You even risk losing your eyesight! In the end only certified stuff will

I don't give a sh:)t if you say I want to make it look expensive, I don't gain anything by that and I'd want them to be cheap too. Fact is that cheap chinese crap is not trustworthy. People already think everything should be cheap, so it's not that we're stopping people from buying them.

A good pair of glasses that are bought is the only solution.

Last edited:
Bluefan,

These glasses are $8, test a pair if you like. I am...

I believe that there are a lot of folks here using no goggles (but saying they are) or maybe they are using their $5 "beginner glasses" that came with their laser and assuming since they came from the laser supplier that they must be good.

I don't believe that everyone here owns several sets of $40 safety goggles for themselves and family/friends to use when they show off their lasers. In a perfect world, that might be the case. But in the real world, someone who is stressing over spending $40 for a 50mW laser isn't dropping another $100-$200 for several sets of safety goggles.

I'm not even sure that there is a difference in the UVEX and the $40 goggles. If you look at the specs on them both, they look almost, if not, identical.

Why is it unrealistic to believe that two different vendors might offer virtually identical products at different price points? It happens all the time.

ts

Ok, just got my survival laser 1.3 445 kit and fired it up. I'm letting the batteries charge right now, but just trying it out makes me very confident that the glasses are going to be fine. It is almost so much attenuation that I have a hard time seeing the dot outside in very cloudy conditions right now.

The laser starts white paper on fire easily!

I haven't set up the meter yet, but I am curious as to how I should do this. I shot the laser through a pair of the goggles and there was no "dot" on the other side. I was afraid that I would start to melt the goggles.

I'll try to do a test (and video it) tonight.

ts