Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Safety Glasses - TESTED

Which ones did you buy, the op glasses? I use them all the time with 425mW green. The testing I did seemed to pull 532 down to reasonable levels, not <5mW but well within what I consider a safe range if you treat the laser with respect.

kaunak

Which ones did you buy, the op glasses? I use them all the time with 425mW green. The testing I did seemed to pull 532 down to reasonable levels, not <5mW but well within what I consider a safe range if you treat the laser with respect.
I bought the ones that were discussed in the OP. After thinking about it I agree if your using a handheld 532 you should be safe enough stare at the dot on a wall as long as its under 500mw. IIRC these goggles block about 70-80% of 532 which is alright for lower powers.

Last edited:
FYI
The warnings(that are printed on the inside of the box), specifically say "do not use for laser protection". This could be just to cover Honeywell's butt legally. but I won't trust my one remaining eye to these.

kaunak

I would agree that its probably the most likely reason. As far as using these glasses for laser safety I think they are definitely safe up to 532nm. Only way it would be dangerous is if you were to point a 1w+ blue laser directly at your eye for 5+seconds wearing the glasses because it might melt through. I would definitely recommend these glasses to someone and they are cheap on top of that.

Last edited:
As I can't really see on one side I worry about getting a reflection and not seeing it,
Until it gets through. I know the probability of this happening is just about <0.0001 %,
I just can't risk it. I hope glass lenses don't shatter when exposed for more than a second or two.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I didn't read through all the pages so hence the repeat info.
But I may have something useful to add. I went to Honeywell's site and used their calculator to find glasses. I put in 445nm-3.2w-1mm beam diameter and 5 second exposure time and poly lenses.
This is what I got.

Laser Eyewear for 445nm - OD: 3.84 at Rockwell Laser Industries

I hope they wouldn't say that these could take 5 sec and not fail, when they couldn't.

vk2fro

I agree with you there Antharak, I too can only see out of one eye. I have no workable lasers in my apartment as I sold my last set of laser glasses to a friend whom bought a 445nm laser from me. At the moment I cant justify putting money towards a set of glasses as I need a new laptop (to run my projector), which has no lasers atm. My old machine gave many years of reliable service, but has since died in the ass (motherboard) and isnt worth fixing. I also need a quickshow set as well. As I am working down the expensive-ness scale, laser glasses and a power meter are last on the list, prior of course to getting any laser modules (stuff expensive-ness, saftey comes first, but so does the saftey gear).

In the mean time I'll be able to learn quickshow, but when I have my first module, I'll also have the glasses there to use with it. My present signature is wrong, I've just been too lazy to fix it. I don't posess any laser pointers, and no laser modules except for a 445nm blue, which I have not been willing to turn on until I replace my saftey glasses.

I have been out of the loop on this subject for a while, so must research what will be my next set of goggles. I already have researched my laptop choice (a 15.6in touchscreen model for quickshow - Asus) and quickshow comes in only one flavour :)

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I have just received some safety glasses to block 200-540 nm. I have just tried it with a blue LED as a test. It attenuates the blue led about 50% but I can still see it.

Is this a good test or not?

https://www.banggood.com/Red-Blue-v...-p-955972.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Regards, John

I followed your link and...yeah, I wouldn't trust my eyes to those. They claim OD4+ but say visible light transmission is ~50%, even for the wavelengths they supposedly protect you from. Use those to protect your eyes when you're using a dremel tool. To protect your eyes when using a laser it's Eagle Pair for the win. (google 'eagle pair' if you don't know what I'm talking about :cool:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Those should do nicely. They're a little expensive but people in these parts swear by them. I think of it this way; I spend x on car insurance each month. These glasses cost less than x/4. I value my eyes more than I value my car; these are cheap insurance.

Great, thanks for your advice.

I will order them today. I certainly don't want to risk my eyes.

Regards, John

Thanks fro the tip on the discount. Unfortunately, I have already ordered them.

I will remember for next time.

How does the discount code work for future purchases?

John

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You’re welcome. When you go to your basket there’s an option to add coupon. Write lpf445 and then apply. :)