Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

changing diodes on prebuild lasers from china

Mannitu78

hello,
i finnaly wanna have a strong green laser. I have a "trusted" laserpointer seller fom china from which i already bought several Blue lasers. The pricing is fair and all lasers still work. He also gave me always honest infos about the power output. Unfortunately, his pricing for 1W green lasers is pretty high, somewhere between 240-270eu. Thats about 300 dollars. I have no doubts that the quality is decent enough, its just a huge difference in pricing to the blue lasers. From what i researched, the price for the 1w green laser diode is somewhat around 90-100 bucks. So i was wondering, couldnt i just buy the 1w green diode and 1w blue prebuild lasers and just interchange the diode?

greetings.

Sowee7

hello,
i finnaly wanna have a strong green laser. I have a "trusted" laserpointer seller fom china from which i already bought several Blue lasers. The pricing is fair and all lasers still work. He also gave me always honest infos about the power output. Unfortunately, his pricing for 1W green lasers is pretty high, somewhere between 240-270eu. Thats about 300 dollars. I have no doubts that the quality is decent enough, its just a huge difference in pricing to the blue lasers. From what i researched, the price for the 1w green laser diode is somewhat around 90-100 bucks. So i was wondering, couldnt i just buy the 1w green diode and 1w blue prebuild lasers and just interchange the diode?

greetings.
it depends on a few things like the diode's package size, most high power blue diodes (445nm-450nm) are in a 5.6mm can package while most high power green diodes (510nm-525nm) are in a to-9 can package, if you do find a diode that fits the host, then you can change it

Mannitu78

thank you. Im gonna show you 2 dufferent diodes, can you tell me the difference please? The one with the ball lense, is that a "real" green diode? because i read some are just IR diodes actually.

about the 5,6/mm issue...i can also change the complete package, ill just hav to bay another driver board, on of the small ones with a spring on one side.

Those Chinese lasers are often glued together and not made to be easily modified, but if you get a nugm03 from Lifetime17 in one of his hosts then you can do whatever you want, easily try different available lenses or swap out modules later if you want.

Mannitu78

thank you. Ive already disassembled my blue lasers, its no problem. Its only the package with diode and driver thats glued together with some kind of silicon, but ill have no problem i guess.

what do you think about 300 dollars for a prebuild green 1W laser from china, its pretty overpriced isnt it? Pricing for the blue lasers is very fair.

so the nugm03 is a "real" 1w green diode? Cool, its onyl 69 dollars, so the laser will cost me even less than i expected.

You will need to remove the GBall can which is easy enough if you can pry apart Chinese hosts, the diode will output 1.2W at about 2.1A and it's a 9mm diode, your Chinese blue may be a 5.6 or a 9mm but you can press the new diode into a 12mm module and fit it to your housing, 12mm drill bits are easy to find, I usually pop the GBall can off with a small screwdriver once it's pressed into my 12mm module with solid copper back half.

Mannitu78

this is my laser disassembled..now it puts out 1.5 -1.6 Watt, so i guess the driver is to strong for the green 1W diode? Do you know a driver the same size for the nubm3 maybe? I havent measured the lengh, because its still in place, but it seems to be 15mm wide.

edit: woh, i just realized im not sure how to get the diode out of that aluminum casing..i need a casing like this, because its got threading to screw it into the host...i just thought about the driver, removing it is easy enough...hmmm

Attachments

• DSCI1508.JPG
    DSCI1508.JPG
    558.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI1512.JPG
    DSCI1512.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI1515.JPG
    DSCI1515.JPG
    513.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Mannitu78

yeah im a bit disappointed...searching the web for 1 hour, i just cant find that specific laser host/casing with threading. Im not even sure if that aluminum thing is 1 solid piece, or screwed and glued together. I also dont know how he got the diode in there, through the back or pressed in from the front?