Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Care and feeding of your Arctic beast

great guide :) ive used the wl glasses inside but i also have the dl glasses to, but ill get some of them white ones as they look good. ive used the arctic outside at nights for beam shots but i didnt wear glasses for outside use.

Great thread folks. I received my G2 a week ago and apparently have one of the unfocused ones, (massive beam, very impressive at night, but for burning, not so much...) so I'll be performing a dismantle when I have the time.

BTW, I tried to order one of the Axiz focusing tools you mentioned but they only ship to the US. Does anyone know of another supplier that ships to Canada? I could use it to tweak my IgorTs as well.

I immediately threw out the 1300 mAh 18650 that came with it and am using 2500 mAh DX protected UltraFire cells to great effect. My Kenometer is still packed, (recent move) so I'll get a power reading once I get the top hat off and the thing focused properly.

Again thanks for the one-stop-shop of Arctic care. I can only pop in once a week or so these days, so you folks who aggregate the worthwhile info are much appreciated.

Cheers, CC

Great thread folks. I received my G2 a week ago and apparently have one of the unfocused ones, (massive beam, very impressive at night, but for burning, not so much...) so I'll be performing a dismantle when I have the time.

BTW, I tried to order one of the Axiz focusing tools you mentioned but they only ship to the US. Does anyone know of another supplier that ships to Canada? I could use it to tweak my IgorTs as well.

I immediately threw out the 1300 mAh 18650 that came with it and am using 2500 mAh DX protected UltraFire cells to great effect. My Kenometer is still packed, (recent move) so I'll get a power reading once I get the top hat off and the thing focused properly.

Again thanks for the one-stop-shop of Arctic care. I can only pop in once a week or so these days, so you folks who aggregate the worthwhile info are much appreciated.

Cheers, CC

I have read that you need to keep the stock battery in case you need to send your laser back. It was in another thread that any other battery will void the warranty. Just thought you might want to know that.

I don't have one, I have just been reading threads.

Last edited:

ZapU

I have read that you need to keep the stock battery in case you need to send your laser back. It was in another thread that any other battery will void the warranty. Just thought you might want to know that.

I don't have one, I have just been reading threads.

I don't think it would be possible for them to know which 18650 you used.
What Wicked Lasers specifically warned against was using 2 CR123 batteries. They would fit but would overvolt the laser.
But I agree, keep the stock battery, just in case.

Thanks for the tip re: keeping the original battery. I hadn't thought of that. Retrieved it from the HazMat bin just in case.

Cheers, CC

I know this is terrible ettiquette, but here's the fire safety thread of mine...again...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/fire-safety-lithium-lithium-ion-batteries-55214.html

Proper precautions when dealing with lithium batteries is essential.

You've all seen the demonstrations with the chip pan fires and water. This is the same thing. You're dealing with a highly reactive metal burning at very high temperatures.

If this could be added to the OP, that would be great. Awareness of the proper precautions for extinguishing lithium fires is essential.

ZapU

I know this is terrible ettiquette, but here's the fire safety thread of mine...again...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/fire-safety-lithium-lithium-ion-batteries-55214.html

Proper precautions when dealing with lithium batteries is essential.

You've all seen the demonstrations with the chip pan fires and water. This is the same thing. You're dealing with a highly reactive metal burning at very high temperatures.

If this could be added to the OP, that would be great. Awareness of the proper precautions for extinguishing lithium fires is essential.

Done! Great info :thanks:

Fire precaution is indeed very important with Lithium. I charge huge 5000mAh LiPo 4s cells for my 7-up bike light and use a LiPo-Safe fireproof bag ( Battman Li-Po Safe 30x23cm Bag ) when doing so, to contain any explosion or fire that might result from a faulty cell. I usually don't bother putting protected 18650s in the bag because I use a good quality intelligent charger. ( the cell's protection circuit and the charger would both have to fail to overcharge and explode ) but if my daughter was still living with us I'd certainly make the effort for added peace of mind. The bags are cheap insurance and will significantly reduce the damage to surroundings, so I'm told.

Cheers, CC

ZapU

Fire precaution is indeed very important with Lithium. I charge huge 5000mAh LiPo 4s cells for my 7-up bike light and use a LiPo-Safe fireproof bag ( Battman Li-Po Safe 30x23cm Bag ) when doing so, to contain any explosion or fire that might result from a faulty cell. I usually don't bother putting protected 18650s in the bag because I use a good quality intelligent charger. ( the cell's protection circuit and the charger would both have to fail to overcharge and explode ) but if my daughter was still living with us I'd certainly make the effort for added peace of mind. The bags are cheap insurance and will significantly reduce the damage to surroundings, so I'm told.

Cheers, CC

Cool, just ordered one. :thanks:

The bag is $4.50 + $5.56 shipping to Florida.

The local hobby shop here demo'd one of those bags. I don't know why they keep the old bag, because it's got all those chemicals on it, but it worked great. Shoot, maybe if I get one of those, I won't have to keep charging my cells on the porch...

I haven't gotten a response back from WL yet about the crooked lens issue. I'll give them a day or two to clear out any leftover support issues from the holidays before I really get on them.

I did finally get a chance to speak with the higher-ups at WL about my issue today (yes, on Sunday believe it or not). We had a good heart-to-heart about why it took so long to respond and they have resolved the issue to my satisfaction at this point. (Please don't ask for details but they did make things right.)

Now it's time for me to select a host and build one of my own so I can really get my hands dirty. ;)

Cheers,
Ben

Cheers, CC

I like the idea of a "safe space" for charging Lithium batteries. The part I'm not cool with is the instructions telling folks to stick the cells and, in most cases, the charger into the bag and zip it up. This would tend to trap the heat from the battery and charger and increase the chances of thermal runaway. The chargers' power supplies aren't designed to operate in a sealed bag.

ZapU

I did finally get a chance to speak with the higher-ups at WL about my issue today (yes, on Sunday believe it or not). We had a good heart-to-heart about why it took so long to respond and they have resolved the issue to my satisfaction at this point. (Please don't ask for details but they did make things right.)

Now it's time for me to select a host and build one of my own so I can really get my hands dirty. ;)

Cheers,
Ben

Ben

I'm glad you got resolution on your problem. If WL is to ever recover from the Arctic fiasco, they HAVE to take care of the defective units.

Oh man. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get the damned retaining ring out of the Training lens assembly of my late model G1. Scraped out all the glue. Tried c-clip pliers, needle nose pliers, put acetone on the threads to try and dissolve any glue I can't see. That sucker is just frozen solid! I am even thinking of making a tool to get more torque on it - hopefully without stripping the holes.

This is the kind of thing a really dislike - mucking with stubborn and FRAGILE hardware!

ZapU

Oh man. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get the damned retaining ring out of the Training lens assembly of my late model G1. Scraped out all the glue. Tried c-clip pliers, needle nose pliers, put acetone on the threads to try and dissolve any glue I can't see. That sucker is just frozen solid! I am even thinking of making a tool to get more torque on it - hopefully without stripping the holes.

This is the kind of thing a really dislike - mucking with stubborn and FRAGILE hardware!

Did you try heating it? The lens is glass and the cap and retainer are metal, should tolerate quite a bit of heat. I would use a propane torch, or an oven.

If all else fails, you could drill out the lens with a tile bit or break it out. :gun: