Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you see Ir light from a TV remote?

L

laserguys

I can see an 808nm laser spot quite easily with the naked eye and 802-803 should

be just as visible, if not a tad more IMO.

laserguys said:
I can see an 808nm laser spot quite easily with the naked eye and 802-803 should

be just as visible, if not a tad more IMO.
that little red spot you see is NOTHING compared to the IR light you are NOT seeing. a 2OOmW IR laser is 200mW regardless. even if it does look like a <1mW red.

nikokapo said:
never tried to :S

i dont really know, is it possible to see like 803-802 nm?
It is possible to see 802nm, heck the people that can see the light from TV remotes are able to see 980nm (the wavelength of TV remote LEDs)

Razako

I can see the IR from my air conditioner remote easily. In a dark room I can see a dim dark red glow coming from the LED.

john_lawson said:
yes you can get your cell phone and look through the camera as you change a channel or push any button

lol i was talking about seeing it with my bare eyes..

Scog

My mouse uses an infrared led, and I can see that quite clearly but I havn't noticed with a remote before.

I can see near IR to about 890nm or so. But can only easily see down to 835nm. Used to freak out my colleagues at a place i worked at when aligning the optics of industrial grade levels that used near IR laser diodes. LOL

diachi

I think I can see the IR from my TV remote, I can see 808nm for sure, as there is some 808nm IR visible on my labby before the crystals fully heat up (0.5-1.5 seconds after power on).

Well I dont know really how LED's work, but is the "red dim glow" really IR or just a result of the current going through the LED?

Maelstrom said:
Well I dont know really how LED's work, but is the "red dim glow" really IR or just a result of the current going through the LED?
I think it is, but our eyes just don't pick it up well. Like i said, my 200mW 808nm looks like its 1mW of red, but through a camera it's an insanely bright white light.

Ace82

As I cup my hand over the remote to block the light (or do it in a dark environment) I can detect a faint red pulse from remotes with my naked eye.  Anybody (with normal vision) should be able to see it.

diachi

I don't get it *all* text books say the visible spectrum is only 400-700nm :-?

Ace82

Diachi said:
I don't get it *all* text books say the visible spectrum is only 400-700nm :-?

So, what you're telling me is that I can see red light at 700nm but not at 701nm? I'm sure it's very safe to say that it is a general guideline that it's really not "visable" meaning that it wouldn't catch your eye if you didn't know it was there, but, if you focus really hard in the right environment, you might be able to see a faint amount of ir light. Plus, wasn't someone talking about LEDs not being coherent? So perhaps the nm range could be +/- 50nm? Just a thought.

I think it depends also on the power of the remote, as some are much more powerful then others and work around corners, in other bedrooms, longer distances and such,  and others you need to aim directly at the sensor from 5ft and if someone's in the way they'll block it.  Of coarse, battery power also plays a key roll.  I'm not sure staring at the led is such a good idea though?