Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can you see a laser beam with the proper safty glasses?

GSS

Please avoid digging up old threads. This one is nearly three years old.

Where did you order the glasses from exactly?
They do look legit, but right at the border of the laser's WL??
A better option would have been the 200nm - 540nm pair..Still though you were right by getting some Eagles.

diachi

They do look legit, but right at the border of the laser's WL??
A better option would have been the 200nm - 540nm pair..Still though you were right by getting some Eagles.

Agreed, I wouldn't get a pair that has the end of their rating so close to the wavelength I plan on using. Especially not with diode lasers which have a lot of variation in the wavelength based on batch/current/temperature.

diachi

OK so to be safe should I get a second pair?

Yes, I'd get the 200-540nm pair as GSS suggested. If you can see the beam with them on they're not safe for the wavelength you're using. You shouldn't even see the dot, only some fluorescence (dot looks orange-ish with 445nm for example) from the surface it's being terminated on.

GSS

Stas, I would look into a Eagle pair that has a good vlt like 50%.
You still won't see the beam but the dot will be a little more visible and still get an OD4 or OD5 protection.
If your not in the US "Survival Lasers" has a International link and forum members get 10% off.

Last edited:

diachi

Stas, I would look into a Eagle pair that has a good vlt like 50%.
You still won't see the beam but the dot will be a little more visible and still get an OD4 or OD5 protection.
If your not in the US "Survival Lasers" has a International link and forum members get 10% off.

For those not in the know, VLT means "Visible Light Transmission". It tells you the percentage of visible light that makes it through the glasses whilst still blocking the intended wavelengths.

Reactions: GSS
Is it safe to view a 445 nm 1.5 watt beam outside at night without safety glasses. I understand that I can't shine it on reflective surfaces. However, shining it into the night sky away from any aircraft or reflections.

I have read some posts on this and I find it a little contradictory.

I am a electronics hobbyist but new to lasers, so I have a lot to learn. I have ordered some glasses from Eaglepair.

John

Any advice please.

Regards,

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I would vote yes. Indoors the risk of a reflection (or an accidental fire!) goes up to the point where it has been a bit of a debate on this forum. But outdoors, into a clear sky (clear of aircraft) I see no problem.

OK, thanks for the advice. They have had a few laser shows in the city and I would think they would be much more powerful than what I will be using. I never hear of any issues with those.

Is it safe to view a 445 nm 1.5 watt beam outside at night without safety glasses. I understand that I can't shine it on reflective surfaces. However, shining it into the night sky away from any aircraft or reflections.

I have read some posts on this and I find it a little contradictory.

I am a electronics hobbyist but new to lasers, so I have a lot to learn. I have ordered some glasses from Eaglepair.

John

Any advice please.

Regards,

Of course it is safe. Why wouldn't it be safe? What have you been reading that's contraindicated.

Last edited:
I have read some posts elsewhere. Some people have said you should wear glasses at all times and that even looking at the beam can damage your eyes. It didn't make sense to me but I am new and trying to check it all out. Better safe than sorry.

I have read some posts elsewhere. Some people have said you should wear glasses at all times and that even looking at the beam can damage your eyes. It didn't make sense to me but I am new and trying to check it all out. Better safe than sorry.

Better safe than sorry. However, outside there's nothing to worry about. Sunlight on a clear day is brighter than any laser beam commonly available. Even looking at a non specular reflective spot at some distance is safe. At night the beam seen from the side could appear bright but not an eye hazard. Even with something in the air scattering the beam. I've stood just a few feet from a 15 watt or so argon laser beam at a indoor mall display without having to look away. So relax.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Looking at the dot is what hurts your eyes, not the beam. Like Steve said, sometimes the beam can get bright, but you would need a very serious laser for the beam itself to be blinding. Of course if that beam starts aiming in your direction, then you need to worry. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Curtis,

As far as I understand it - looking at the dot from a long distance is OK but not close.

Correct me if I am wrong.