Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you identify this Blu-Ray diode?

loreadarkshade

I recently salvaged old DVD drives that were donated to me.
Unfortunately, I threw away the case which had part numbers.
To my surprise, one of the many diodes extracted powered on blue! (I'm guessing Blu Ray diode)

Here's where I'm a little lost. Most of the Blu Ray diodes are within the violet 405nm range, while this diode is clearly more of a blue 445nm wavelength to me.

Any ideas?

This might have come from a Blu-Ray dvd reader, not too sure, I disassembled so many identical other red diodes.

P.S. This is my first post! If I did anything wrong, please be nice and teach me! :) Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    841.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

I recently salvaged old DVD drives that were donated to me.
Unfortunately, I threw away the case which had part numbers.
To my surprise, one of the many diodes extracted powered on blue! (I'm guessing Blu Ray diode)

Here's where I'm a little lost. Most of the Blu Ray diodes are within the violet 405nm range, while this diode is clearly more of a blue 445nm wavelength to me.

Any ideas?

This might have come from a Blu-Ray dvd reader, not too sure, I disassembled so many identical other red diodes.

P.S. This is my first post! If I did anything wrong, please be nice and teach me! :) Thanks for having me.
It's blue because you are shining it against the paper so it makes the paper spontaneously emit blue light in the 455-470 range. All 405s do that. I don't recommend giving that diode more than 50mA since it's from a reader.

loreadarkshade

It's blue because you are shining it against the paper so it makes the paper spontaneously emit blue light in the 455-470 range. All 405s do that. I don't recommend giving that diode more than 50mA since it's from a reader.
Woah.. that's interesting! I would have never guessed that's how light worked. Blue light created by purple light.

Yeah, This thing can take way more mA.. but you're right, I want this thing to last! Thank you
!