Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you ever use one of these in place of a driver?

Greetings,

MASTECH HY1803D VARIABLE DC POWER SUPPLY

Amazon.com: MASTECH HY1803D VARIABLE DC POWER SUPPLY: Electronics

This has a current-limiting control, but I don't know if it's good enough to drive laser diodes. It says you can set the voltage to zero, and the current to maximum, an then bring the voltage up until the correct current flows. I don't see any spiked happening with this, but I've never done this before. The curent and voltage are both reading to 0.1 and users say it is very accurate on the reviews.

I want to use it for anywhere from 1mw to 1000+.

Yes, I do all the time. The two problems is are that controls are sensitive, and the readout only has a resolution of 10mA. So if you want to set the current to exactly 158mA for example, it's damn near impossible. You have to live with 160+/-10 or so. Not good for 1mW diodes, but just fine for higher powers.

Last edited:

Fiddy

Same here, ive got a variable unit that's got coarse and fine adjustments for both CC and CV.

Same as well. I use that same one all the time. Even without the fine adjustment knob you can still set it very accurately.

Excellent advice, thank you all very much.

One more related Q: Once it's set to the desired level, do you guys turn the thing off and back on again at will, or do you always ramp up the power from zero each time.

Achilleus;

I have used the #1803 supply in the past to test diodes.

It should NOT be switched on or off with a laser diode attached (due to spikes).

The proper technique is to ramp up voltage to the desired current.

To shut down, ramp the voltage back down before flipping the switch off.

I have to a better switching power supply now . . .

but I still ramp voltage up and down with laser diodes.

LarryDFW

Last edited: