Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can this laser burn?

SD-301 5mW 532nm Green Laser Flashlight - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

for this price and the packaging i dont see how this can be 5mW... so can a pro here tell me if this can burn?

No it can't, its not nearly powerful enough and if it could they would mention that and someone would also say so in the reviews. For a green that burns your going to have to pay much more, its a fraction of the power needed even if its really 30mw instead of 5mw.

Its rated at 5mW bro, not 5W. Also, most of these are somewhere between 20mW and 70mW. However, it is still not enough to burn even if you are lucky to get something on the high end.

Also the rated class on the laser is IIIb which is used for anything between 5-500mW and a 5W laser would be a class IV laser.

Last edited:
5 watt is class 4 laser but i think that's just a typo .A IIIB class laser is from 5mW to 500mW ,You will need from 125mW and up to burn matches,pop balloons etc you can do it with slighty less if beam is well focussed but, to burn without to much hassle at least 125mw plus as a minimum and depends on your definition of what burn is ignite to flame,smoke or melt plastic and what your trying to burn the darker the item the easier it is to burn

Last edited:
5 watt is class 4 laser but i think that's just a typo .A IIIB class laser is from 5mW to 500mW ,You will need from 125mW and up to burn matches,pop balloons etc you can do it with slighty less if beam is well focussed but, to burn without to much hassle at least 125mw plus as a minimum and depends on your definition of what burn is ignite to flame,smoke or melt plastic and what your trying to burn the darker the item the easier it is to burn

125mW is not so much a magic number for burning from my exp. Wavelength and optics play a large part in determining burn power as well as exactly what you are trying to burn and as you said what you consider burning as. A 532nm laser is not one you generally seek if your goal is any variation of burning. For that, 405nm and 445nm are superior per mW for any amount of burning. If you want a laser to burn things target a 200-300mW 405nm laser and you should be impressed. For more advanced burning exp go with a 500mW+ 405nm or a 1W+ 445nm, though I don't always suggest these to beginners.

Last edited:
SD-301 5mW 532nm Green Laser Flashlight - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

for this price and the packaging i dont see how this can be 5mW... so can a pro here tell me if this can burn?

Hi, i bought this laser, it burns easy matches and pop balloons , it isn't 5mW, they say that is 5mW because the laws, but the real power like real 50 mW , with the focus it burn a lot of things, is incredible,but don't saty it on for more than 20 seconds without stop,because it can overheat! It's chinese...

see this video of it burning a matche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK6W9uKZvwg

Last edited:
Hi, i bought this laser, it burns easy matches and pop balloons , it isn't 5mW, they say that is 5mW because the laws, but the real power like real 50 mW , with the focus it burn a lot of things, is incredible,but don't saty it on for more than 20 seconds without stop,because it can overheat! It's chinese...

see this video of it burning a matche SDLaser 301 lights match - YouTube
Well looks like you got good one :D.The thread was asking if that SD 301 showing its rated at 5mW would burn, it wouldn't if it was really 5mW . Most SD 301s are more than 5mW . Mine has a 200mW sticker on it and its actually a 135mW LPM and burns quite well matches the usual stuff .I assumed it was actually 5mW rather than what its really putting out which is usually from 50mW to well at least 135mW as mine does.So yes your right its just the sticker that is telling lies so it can be sold in the US

It probably can because they only write it to 5mw to get around shipping laws. I bought a 5mw that looked like that one and i got it to 60-90mw so go ahead and buy it and see? :D

diachi

It probably can because they only write it to 5mw to get around shipping laws. I bought a 5mw that looked like that one and i got it to 60-90mw so go ahead and buy it and see? :D

The post you're replying to is from 2013. Please avoid digging up old posts like this.