Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can someone help me out?

Things

does the diode itself get hot while running like that? if so, i would say it is dead, sorry :-/

Dawgz

Hmm, here are some better pics..

PCB Board

dsc08253on0.jpg

PCB Board with Spec

dsc08253aka4.jpg

And how the Laser Diode is soldered...

dsc08251vv1.jpg

dsc08249rz5.jpg

dsc08247tn0.jpg

Things

hmmm that solder on the diode looks abit, odd? maybe you overheated it while soldering? does pin 3 on the LM317 go anywhere? If the brightness doesn't adjust, it is dead :-/

Dawgz

These are brand new batteries.

And as for the comment about the diode being dead, is this what happens when the diode dies? it doesnt stay that bright?

S

SenKat

Yeah - TBH, it looks like you smoked it when soldering :( the positive connection looks like it MIGHT be shorted out to the case ? you have to be extremely careful when soldering these suckers :(

Gazoo

How many batteries...measure the voltage of your battery pack and also the voltage going to the diode and let us know. Thanks.

Dawgz

i dont know what the voltage is to be exact, but the battery pack is setup in series, so its 1.5 X 4 = 6v.

Ill try to borrow a Volt meter from a friend this week.

Gazoo

Also things asked about pin 3 on the regulator...it doesn't look like it is connected to anything but pictures can be deceiving.

S

SenKat

Gazoo - I think you got it ! Pin three is not connected - also in one pic of hte diode, it actually looks like you cooked one of hte insulators off of the diode :( the little ring looking thing ?

Gazoo

Well that little ring looking thingy is remnants of the mylar. You can see it in one of the pics on the precious page.. :) I am not yet convinced the diode is dead.. :p

Things

i think that ring on the diode was a piece of the pcb track that had come off. So is pin 3 connected to anything or what? when the diodes die, they output a small amount of light, and get hot fast.

Dawgz

things said:
i think that ring on the diode was a piece of the pcb track that had come off. So is pin 3 connected to anything or what? when the diodes die, they output a small amount of light, and get hot fast.

yea, so i guess its dead...

u know what, i checked the package, and my LM371T is alot diffrent... 1 = Vin 2 = VOUT! 3 = Adj

I set it up as 2 = Adj and 3= Vout.....maybe that killed it?

Things

i wouldn't think that would kill it. sorry bout the luck man, better luck next time! :'(

um
if u had pin 3 of the 317 as Vout, and not connected to anything...
that may be why it didnt work...
also, maybe try to clean up the soldering on the diode, as it looks just like you have shorted +ve to case.

Gazoo

If you went by the numbering on Daedals circuit it is confusing. Pin 2 is voltage out and pin three is adjust. But once again you have not told us what pin 3 is connected to??? I posted a link to a website on page 2 of this thread for you to refer to. Did you take a look at it???