Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can someone help me open this stubborn &"*^

Had this laser for a while now, i think i knackered it trying to pot mod it AAAAGES ago. Anywho i found it in my desktop drawer after educating myself alittle bit from your forums.
My brother went and bought one of those FAKE 240mW green lasers from eBay, after i told him not to, which turned out to look 10mW MAX SO i used a knife to take off the end (Remove diode, case, driver etc from the host) and pot modded it for him, it now looks like a 100mW. I know it doesnt hav an IR filter but hey, he doesnt use it anyway  :-?...
ANYWHO, so this laser i found in my drawer was only rated <5mW so i tried to open it up the same way i did with my brothers 240mW (Push a knife between the silver and black rubber parts to remove the "glue" then force it apart with the knife), but this didnt work, i tried using a vice and a set of pliers...didnt work, tried using 2 sets of pliers...didnt work...lol u know what im getting at  ::)

HOW THE F*&$ do i open it? I mean...look at it now lol its a write-off. I only want to get to the diode and whatver else is in there (See some green crystal :D). Any ideas that might help me get at them? Heres a pic:
Knackered Host

Crystal Shot - maximize to see the glimmer

Also, if i got those crystals, could i use an 300mW+ 808nm diode to make a powerful greeny? Obviously id use an IR filter too, but would that be plausible? Cheers for ANY info / help!

2 pair of pliers worked for me...

1064nm...oops i mean posts....

since your not worried about the host anymore you could also use something to cut the host and work it out from there...

a 300mW 808nm diode would probably not make a difference as it probably already has a 250 or 500mW one in there already. IF you want more power just buy a more powerful laser it will last a long time and have a warrenty and it will be more stable than any pot modded laser. I don't think pot modding even works anymore because companies already max out the lasers and sell them at whatever mW they put out

Yeah, i have a small cutting tool (Like a dremmel, but a cheaper version) I dont get the cutting wheels etc...theyre made of, well, plastic? How wil lthat cut metal lol, i tried the sanding bands, sanding stones, all those did to it was wear it down alittle  :'( Ill go try two pliers again  :mad: GRRRR

@Maxkills, the one im trying to take apart is only a <5mW, would that really have a high powered diode as u mentioned? i wouldnt have thought it would lol.

yea pretty sure, most pointers like that have a 250mW or 500mW IR diode in there because the crystals are so inefficient and cannot put out more than 5mW or so thats why more powerful lasers cost more is because of better alignment and better crystals

Ahh ok cool, So...if i took out the diode, it would be an IR one capable of burning? What would i need in adition to make it work properly? Host, driver, power source, lens?, any crystals etc? Cheers :p

all you would need is a lens that can collimate IR light and your set ;)

Still need to get it out lol...tried two pliers, i THINK i managed to turn them, but it hurt like hell cramping my hands whilst doing it...still wont come out though lol