Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can police confiscate my laser? Yes!

Police 'can' do almost anything, legally, even if they "can't", they will. Depends on where you live, but in the US, and here in NZ, virtually anything they do is legal in the sense that even if it is unlawful, they will never have any non-trivial consequence, and what does "illegal" really mean if they can do it without anything happening.

Regardless of whether a laser is actually illegal in your locale, if a police officer finds one, there is a good chance they will take it, and there's not really anything you can do.

Last edited:

Lack of police accountability combined with transparency brought about by cameras.

That's the reason for the current, and growing backlash against cops. People are waking up to the fact that cops have no legal duty to protect, serve or help them, and that cops have been getting away with all kinds of crimes. I honestly don't think things have gotten that much worse then they used to be, we're just seeing more of what has always been happening, or at least since the 70's.

Don't ever talk to cops aside from what you are legally required to say. In most places that means your name and address, and that's it. Aside from that the only phrases you should say are "Am I being detained?", "Am I free to go?" and "I am exercising my right to remain silent." That's it. Hand over a lawyers business card if you're being hassled to give an ID while not driving.

EDIT: I know this goes against the don't talk part, but preface anything physical you do with a statement "I am reaching for wallet"... and do it SLOWLY. Keep hands out of pockets, away from your waistband. Do not tense, do not make eye contact, do not ball your hands into fists. Basically treat them as you would an armed gorilla who thinks you're hiding a banana.

Last edited:
Don't ever talk to cops aside from what you are legally required to say. In most places that means your name and address, and that's it. Aside from that the only phrases you should say are "Am I being detained?", "Am I free to go?" and "I am exercising my right to remain silent." That's it.

I got harassed and threatened with arrest
doing that. How to Flex Your Rights During Police Encounters

ped

<snip> at worst finding something to pin on you whether you're to blame or not.

I was going to disagree with this, until I read the last part, which actually rings true. I'f they can pin you with something, they will.

Ped

Last edited:
I was going to disagree with this, until I read the last part, which actually rings true. I'f they can pin you with something, they will.

They may not even be trying to pin something on you either. You could be the victim of conflicting testimony with someone else, or circumstantial evidence, mistakes, or just the overall effort involved with having to prove innocence. You could just say something that gives the cop an excuse to search your car, wasting your time. You could even proclaim your (actual) innocence, be found with something that wasn't yours, and be hit with another charge for lying to a police officer.

Overall, nothing you say can or will be used FOR you in a court of law. More importantly, the only things that should be said should be said in a court of law where it will be transcribed as actual testimony.

Also, people should never give into the fear that denying a search will "anger" the police officer. The fact is, if the officer has to ask, he doesn't have the rights to carry out the search. Even if he does, it's no worse than had you given-in in the first place.

But again, it's not about being a dick to police officers, but just calmly avoiding any problem as best you can. Plus, it gives the officers no opening to keep talking/questioning or extending the encounter any longer than it should. Know your rights and practice them!