Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can magnets stop vibration diy magnetic laser table + holograms

Having made quite a few holograms myself over the years, I can see some problems with this. Without the large mass of a regular optical bench these can be very sensitive. Also,, the mass distribution across your optical bench can make the surface not level. I have used HeNe lasers mostly for my holography projects, but there can also be argon single line as well. These sometimes weigh a not negligible amount. My guess here is that the old fashioned way of doing this is still the best.

I was thinking to make a levitating mini-table putting small baseplate on a pair of these supports:

Would it work, what do you think?

Another question - has anyone tried to attach a gimbal to a laser to avoid shaking of the spot at large distances as it is usually done to stabilize drone cameras?

Anthony P

Very cool project. I am also amateur holographer. Your basement floor is a good start. I think you will have better luck when you switch to the steel table with more mass and less thermal sensitivity. A quality laser beam is an absolute must. There are a few diodes out there that are suitable, including the green PL530 OPSL.
I noticed you mentioned $15.00 per plate. Check out the Integraf website https://www.integraf.com/
Transmission type holograms are much easier to make than reflection type... maybe a good place to start to work the kinks out of your set up.

My table is 500 lbs concrete that floats on 4 partially inflated tractor tire innertubes.

I look forward to updates on your progress.
Good Luck!

Mandelvolt

Hello! New holographer here...
I'm thinking the magnets will dampen some of it, especially if you can use copper as the supporting rod to induce current thereby reducing vibrations. The problem is that you still have un-isolated contact with the metal support rod
I'm looking at making a vibration isolation table using 1/4"steel diamond plate, although I'm unsure about the best way to isolate it, thinking of using inner tubes from wheelbarrows, although layered brick/sorbethane seems like it could work as well. The plate weighs about 100lbs, planning on using magnets to hold optical elements in place. Any ideas for how to make this setup better? I've seen what vibrations can do to holograms, I took a class on Holography at Montana St and I discovered that we would get interference banding on holograms when the HVAC system was going, and this was on a large 4'x8' pneumatic optical breadboard. The metrology students eventually tipped me off about coming in late at night to get stable images.

I have used under inflated inner tubes from old automobile tires before. This tends to work best when your optical bench weighs much more than 100 lbs, though. Maybe put your steel plate on top of a wooden box filled with sand and put four inner tubes at the corners of the box. Something similar is what I have used successfully in the past, but air currents are also a problem. So, keep your holography room small to avoid those as well.

Mandelvolt

I'm operating in a basement. On the topic of table mass, I'm trying to determine if getting a granite slab would be a better option, or if I use my existing setup but place the metal plate on the slab using sorbethane pads or something. Optimally I just want something I can reasonably disassemble when not in use that is 2'x4'. I assumed 100lbs was sufficient (since it's heavy to me), but realizing I've had problems with optics tables weighing over a ton, I'm not so sure now lol... I was also hoping that using something a little stronger than a 5mw HeNe would yield better exposure times.

Mandelvolt

I noticed you mentioned $15.00 per plate. Check out the Integraf website https://www.integraf.com/
Transmission type holograms are much easier to make than reflection type... maybe a good place to start to work the kinks out of your set up.

I look forward to updates on your progress.
Good Luck!
Anthony, do you have any experience using the LitiHolo self-developing plates? I'm definitely going for quality/longevity, although I can't find any sort of comparisons apart from the >90% reflectivity claims. When purchased in bulk, they are about $5 each.

Anthony P

I have always used the Integraf plates and developed myself. They have all the chemicals as well. They are also easy to find individually on e-bay. All are water based and easy to use. Once mixed, though, shelf life is around a month, even refrigerated.