Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I repurpose a cheap Ebay laser, to use it as a host? (My FIRST POST... yay!)

nabzim

Hi y'all

I am considering buying a cheap green or red laser just for the host (the kind that uses an 18650, like 301/303 or "assassin"), then removing the diode or module and fitting a different one in there. But... Do you think it could work?

Every time I search for hosts, they are all a little too expensive for my taste!
My goal is to rebuild it as a 450 nm laser pointer.
Do you think that any standard-sizes of diodes or modules can fit into the heatsink?

I think it would be really cool to take 2 cheap lasers, and thread the body-tubes together to make a longer one that can hold two 18650s.
(I am aware these blue diodes have a higher forward-voltage than other diodes).
Unless I can find a decent boost driver... I will do more driver research later though.

My main concern right now, is knowing if these cheap lasers are "standardized" enough in their dimensions, that something like this may be feasible.

Thank you all very much!

-Adam

gazer101

Hi y'all

I am considering buying a cheap green or red laser just for the host (the kind that uses an 18650, like 301/303 or "assassin"), then removing the diode or module and fitting a different one in there. But... Do you think it could work?

Every time I search for hosts, they are all a little too expensive for my taste!
Do you think that any standard-sizes of diodes or modules can fit into the heatsink?

I think it would be really cool to take 2 cheap lasers, and thread the body-tubes together to make a longer one that can hold two 18650s.
Unless I can find a decent boost driver... I will do more driver research later though.

My main concern right now, is knowing if these cheap lasers are "standardized" enough in their dimensions, that something like this may be feasible.

Thank you all very much!

-Adam
Its cheaper to machine your own host or buy one from Survival Lasers

nabzim

Hi y'all

Thank you all very much!

-Adam
UPDATE
Sorry for not looking at other posts in this subforum first... my bad...
There was a very recent post where "whytho" asked a similar question...
but he had already bought a module he wanted to use, and THEN asked.
This why I ask questions BEFORE buying anything! ;)

So, I guess I can be more specific with my question:
If I remove the diode from it's module/heatsink-thing, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to just press a different diode in?
Of course, I will choose a diode that has the same size/package as the one I remove.

nabzim

Its cheaper to machine your own host or buy one from Survival Lasers
Survival Laser hosts are moderately priced (but still too expensive in my view).
I am, however going to purchase my eye-protection from them!

I think you're using the word "cheaper" where you should be using "easier" or "more convenient".
It would be too easy to instantly satisfy my laser-urges this way.
I like a good DIY challenge, and I'm not in a rush; I'm content with doing my research first.

I don't want to submit to buying a "high quality" laser host just yet.
It's just a metal tube with some threads in it, so it really shouldn't cost very much.
As a hobbyist, using parts that are mass-manufactured in China is a much more lucrative idea.
So if I figure out a way to do it, I can share my methods with the forum, and then everyone would benefit.

gazer101

Survival Laser hosts are moderately priced (but still too expensive in my view).
I am, however going to purchase my eye-protection from them!

I think you're using the word "cheaper" where you should be using "easier" or "more convenient".
It would be too easy to instantly satisfy my laser-urges this way.
I like a good DIY challenge, and I'm not in a rush; I'm content with doing my research first.

I don't want to submit to buying a "high quality" laser host just yet.
It's just a metal tube with some threads in it, so it really shouldn't cost very much.
As a hobbyist, using parts that are mass-manufactured in China is a much more lucrative idea.
So if I figure out a way to do it, I can share my methods with the forum, and then everyone would benefit.
Trust me, most of the cheap Chinese pointers use weirdly-machined mounts for their lasers and are chock full of glue holding them together. In order to make effective use of any given host (unless it's a laser kit from Survival Lasers or something), you'd need to do some machining anyways. The time you spend fixing up a Chinese host to work for you, had you spent that time working a job instead, will be much more expensive than had you just machined a host from scratch using dirt cheap materials (if you have access to a lathe) or bought a premade host

Have you seen the hosts ready to use that Lifetime17 makes ? You can easily swap out 12mm modules with any laser diode and driver that you want, the single 18650 battery tubes will also hole 2 x 18350 which is fine for all the single mode lasers and 1,2,3 watt multi mode laser diodes.

These are very reasonably priced and ready to go.

1603327072917.png

You can more easily use flashlight hosts to replace parts with laser diodes than using laser hosts and swapping parts.

Try fasttech.com for some at dirt cheap prices - but the ones that work best, are usually not the 18650 bodies unless you machine a heatsink for it.

The Triple "A" or 10440 hosts are usually the easiest to retrofit as the diameter of the body most closely matches the aixiz housing 12x30 modules. However, they offer very little in the way of heatsinking as a result.

If you want a lower power laser you can usually get by with a flashlight host (which is what most of the survival laser and many others really are - started from the mxdl flashlight bodies), if you want a high power one, have the parts machined. You can't have it both ways.

Another option is the 510 threaded head that fit the mechanical mods. Lifetime17 does these and they are usually cheaper than a whole custom laser.

Finally, over the years a number of group buys have come up with some nice hosts. If you can get in on one of them or find one that someone is selling, its a great idea. They are designed for lasers and usually split the difference in cost between custom and retrofit.

Last edited:

nabzim

Okay. Thank you everyone!

I guess I will need to spend some money then...
Damn!

Googles, Good
Eyes, Good
Blind, Bad.

0 = \
X = /

Laser Pirate - Good? Bad? Indifferent? Argggh!
I guess Laser Ninjas are better!

Last edited: