Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I just hook up at battery using jumpers?

jwjsr

I am new and do not understand much and i don't want to damage the module by doing something stupid.
I am waiting for the host and have received the laser module and was curious if i could test the module by using jumper wires from any battery i may have laying around, I have an 18650, would using a lower voltage batt to test just decrease the brightness

532nm 120mw Green Laser Module/Green Laser Dot Module/3.0V-3.7V

532nm 120mW Green Laser Module Green Laser Dot Module 3 0V 3 7V Spcial OFFER | eBay

Have you tried clipping jumpers to an 18650 before?

would using a lower voltage batt to test just decrease the brightness

Generally, no. Laser drivers operate in constant current. Brightness will not change with a change in input voltage (provided the voltage is within the driver's operating range)

from TECHHOOD

'=
Duty Circle

60 secons on and 5 secons off'

this is what they meant

Duty Cycle

60 seconds on and 5 seconds off'

IF this were NOT a 'module' attaching direct to a battery would be a very BAD idea
even inside its brass enclosure this green module has very little heat protection- I do not agree with the duty/rest cycle as such
prolly OK IF the ambient temp is low or you are in A/C
BUt in a hot place I would go with a 50/50 RD cycle (equal off as well as on)
AFAIK it is impossible for a laser to cool below the ambient temp.

So if its 100 F - you might consider a more conservitave DR cycle.
Especailly if your final host has a small HS-

no harn using your 18650 wth possible excpetion that--- it can be overcharged to > 4.2vdc-- I have powered Pen Pointers with Li-ions and had no problems-

Techhood has a pretty good rep here- thay had always done me right.

good luck (be sure you are 100% SURE of the polarity. & do not assume it comes with a 'good'or any IR filter)

Last edited:

jwjsr

It is way funny you would ask " have you tried clipping jumpers to an 18650 before."
Yes I have after visiting this thread :
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/h...es-how-measure-internal-resistance-57576.html.
I thought I was gonna kill my self trying. I spent the last week figuring out how to solder magnets to test leads, I went to hobby lobby and followed some instructions i found on this forum and soldered leads on 9 magnets and for backup bought a micro-scale test lead set from radio shack that contains magneto leads.

jwjsr

curiosity killed the cat!. i overasked my question, can't i just direct wire for 10 or 15 secs to see it!!,

jwjsr

Let me tell you how new I am, I just discovered magnets don't stick to wire

Be advised the wire on those holders is 30awg and the springs are long coils of steel. That holder essentially adds ~0.5Ω in series to your cell. That's probably okay for your 200mA module there, but it's useless for high current applications.

jwjsr

Thanks for your help. Later today I'll test it direct to the 18650 magnetic leads I made, hopefully nothing blows up and black is the negative !