Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can anyone recommend me a good <1mW red laser?

LaySir

I'm going to be using it for my cat, so I'd like it to be 1mW max... .5mW would be preferable, unless you guys think that it'd be too weak for this purpose.

I'm looking for something solid and of high quality (i.e., something nicer than those keychain lasers you typically see for real cheap), probably about ~$25 max.

The AtlasNova 650nm <1mW looks great, but the only concern I have is I read an Amazon review on it and the person stated that the batteries rattle around inside of it (this may or may not be accurate). I'd prefer to buy one that didn't rattle at all.

Thanks.

Go to the Dollar Store they sell cheap red Lasers
that should be <5mW and don't rattle... At least mine
don't.

It's for playing with your cat... why does it need to look
high quality???
I'm quite sure your cat won't mind... and with the money
you save you can buy your cat and yourself a treat...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

LaySir

I had a cheap red laser years back, but after a while it stopped working, even though I didn't use it much. Also, from what I remember, the button cell batteries never lasted very long.

If I'm gonna buy something I just want it to be of decent quality. It's not just looks I'm looking for (though that's part of it -- I'm not really a fan of the typical keychain-style laser design, and I love the look and style of the pen sized/style lasers) but also build quality.

Last edited:
The one Lasersbee Recommend is a Good Choose. It also does not rattle. At least the one i got doesn't.:)

NEVERMIND - WRONG THREAD!

Where did you purchase this ~638nm red diode and for how much? I would like to get a couple to replace the two 660nm red diodes in my RRGB laser projector which use a PBS cube to combine the beams.

Last edited:

midias

Where did you purchase this ~638nm red diode and for how much? I would like to get a couple to replace the two 660nm red diodes in my RRGB laser projector which use a PBS cube to combine the beams.

Are you in the right thread?

if you look close at my signature, you'll see a 0.8mW red laser is created by Swiss Army. I've had it since the Stock market crash of 08, and it still works on the same battery.

(you don't say where your from...)

I bought this back in June... it's pretty weak (safe)... my cat plays with it when he ISN'T BEING LAZY ( <- casting a critical eye at CAT )

ThinkGeek :: Star Wars Lightsaber Laser Pointer

Kinda pricy for what it is... but "cheesy and cute". Comes w/ batteries to get you started (but I'd suggest switching to SG5's versus AG5's at some point).

Last edited:

LaySir

@lasersbee, @midias, thank you both for the suggestions, but I'd really like to find a Class II rated < 1mW.

@JBTexas: Thanks for the suggestion. It uses button cell batteries unfortunately, but I guess I can live with that (not really a fan of the design though ;-). Can you tell me what the mW/class rating is? Unfortunately it's not listed on ThinkGeek.

midias

@lasersbee, @midias, thank you both for the suggestions, but I'd really like to find a Class II rated < 1mW.

@JBTexas: Thanks for the suggestion. It uses button cell batteries unfortunately, but I guess I can live with that (not really a fan of the design though ;-). Can you tell me what the mW/class rating is? Unfortunately it's not listed on ThinkGeek.

How about make one. Get a 635nm diode and tune it to 1mw. You could also do the same with the one I recommended just change the current resistor.

Last edited: