Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying Li-Ions for my Dad - Safety Concern

Helios

My father (who is of sound mind BTW) has a birthday coming up. I recently visited my parents at their cabin and my dad fell in love with my Q5 flashlight. He is used to plastic body flashlights and D-cell maglights :crackup:

Long story short I figured it would be a great birthday present to get him a decent flashlight, 18650, and charger.

However I worry about the dangers of Li-ions. I baby my cells while charging making sure to keep an eye on them and see if they are getting hot. I also usually check the voltage after charging.

My father is even more anal than myself so I think as long as I explain the danger all should be fine. What do you guys think? Would you feel ok giving an 18650 as part of a present?

I have never had a cell vent or had any issues so I am unsure of how often people have problems with them.

jeffd

Yeah if you make sure to explain how to handle li ion batteries and if he is anal as you says he is, I think you should be fine!

SOG

Um... actually to me, all batteries are somewhat dangerous, not just lithium battery. I think your dad can handle it :) But then again, yes you should talk to him about the danger... but I personally think lithium is safe as long as you put it under right temperature, don't make short it, and then don't over charge it... it should be remain stable for a long time

Helios

Um... actually to me, all batteries are somewhat dangerous, not just lithium battery. I think your dad can handle it :) But then again, yes you should talk to him about the danger... but I personally think lithium is safe as long as you put it under right temperature, don't make short it, and then don't over charge it... it should be remain stable for a long time

The D-cell alkalines he is used to dont have a history of bursting into flames spewing toxic fumes....so I consider Li-ions a bit more dangerous.... :whistle:

Last edited:
Helios;

I would not be concerned about giving your dad a 18650 cell.

Just make sure the cell has passed #UL1642 safety testing.

This testing abuses the cell in many ways and is required for legal shipping.

This generally means a "name brand" cell from a major manufacturer.

I like Sanyo/Panasonic, LG and Samsung cells in my builds (all UL tested).

A good charger is also a requirement.

LarryDFW

P.S. I have used hundreds of these cells in RC trucks (high amp drains) and lights,
and have never had a cell even vent.

Last edited:

Helios

Yeah I have some of your cells Larry and they have been great.