Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying Exotic Handheld

Hey there everyone.

Some of you may have seen my recent thread about wanting to expand my rainbow of wavelengths. If so, you also know that I will have a few hundred dollars to spend on a laser in the next couple of weeks.

So basically, I have been chatting with CNI and others, and even though CNI is the most recommended, I do not like how they can't guarantee power output above a certain minimum, which is extraordinarily low for the price (as far as I can tell).

I am looking to get one of the follow, in order of decreasing preference.

589nm torch/pointer
593.5nm torch/pointer
473nm torch/pointer

Now, the key issue is that CNI can only guarantee an output power of above 5mW for $450 + $60 shipping for 589nm, or something like .6mW of 593.5nm, and something like 20mW for 473nm for about the same price.

Now, I understand that's extraordinarily difficult to produce these wavelengths. However, the fact that they cannot guarantee power output over a certain value is a bit disconcerting - I know to expect overspec from them, but what if I buy the 5mW 589nm, expect >20mW, and then realize that I only got 7mW? That's the problem from ordering from CNI.

Now, DL has a 589nm laser that is 50mW for only $600, but I have been told that they are not a good company to buy from, so I am shying away from them.

So, until I can find another, better offer, I am asking here. Is anyone looking to sell a CNI laser that they don't want anymore? The idea is, that way, I know how much power I am getting (middle-man will be used, etc.), and I will be paying for that power - not paying for a gamble on power.

So, without further ado - does anyone have any of these wavelengths for sale? Post here what you got or PM me and we will discuss further! I will be paying reasonable prices :p

rhd

I would DEFINITELY avoid DragonLasers. I'm my opinion, they are knowingly selling underspec lasers, and counting on LPM-less buyers to not know the difference (and then counting on their absurd return costs to discourage those who do know the difference, from doing anything about it)

Then to make matters worse, they even short-change buyers on their supposed "full-refunds".

They're fraud artists.

rhd

Yeah. So. You wanna sell me that PGL-556? ;)

Lol, not at the moment ;)

I'm not against doing a mini-GB for a 589 though. I'm not having much success in the 589 field. I think some significant cost savings can be amassed by even a 3 or 4 person GB from CNI etc.

Do eet! I will totally partake unless someone wants to sell me one from their own collection!

rhd

Do eet! I will totally partake unless someone wants to sell me one from their own collection!

The challenge might be that (as you've noticed) CNI doesn't have a very high power range for their portable yellows.

Maybe you could strike a deal with CNI to make them guarantee 30mW output+ or something like that?

rhd

Maybe you could strike a deal with CNI to make them guarantee 30mW output+ or something like that?

I am fairly certain that they would do so with a PGL-III-C-589.

I can't live without the momentary clicky function though. Although if they'd do a PGL host with a momentary clicky, I would be happy with that form factor.

EDIT: Would you like me to look into that?

Last edited:
Sure! I don't really care as much about the momentary clicky as you do (I mean, I actually prefer non-momentaries, but it doesn't really matter that much), but that would be awesome.