Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying a laser

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a burning laser and almost ordered through WL until I read posts here. Is there a company in the US that sells a complete burning laser similar to WL Artic or Krypton? I prefer green actually. I saw several post about O-Like. Can a laser be ordered from a company outside the US and NOT be held by customs? If so, what company? Please help.

ARG

Check out the B/S/T, there are many individuals that will sell burning lasers from within the USA.

If they don't have what you want, then check out jetlasers. They've got a good reputation.

Also, please check out OEM laser systems or thorlabs for some proper safety eye wear and please read up on how to safety use your laser; burning lasers can burn your eye just as easily as a piece of paper.

Last edited:
I am 42 and a former Paramedic as well as Medical Examiner. I have the safety part down. I'm trying to find a way to buy one instead of build one. Looking for someone in the US that has had success ordering one, and actually receiving it, without having to worry about big brother snatching it up. No offense ARG but you are in British Columbia. I just don't want to get my hopes up ordering one and then have Customs take it. I want one to engrave and inlay for the manufacturing of billiard cues. Therefore, it has to be handheld like WL and be able to burn wood. I want to be under $300.00.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
ARG may be from Canada, but he is one of the most respected veteran members here on LPF.
He is not steering you wrong. Many of the best builders in the BST section are located right here in the U.S.!
Read through the forum for a while, and get familiar with the builders work, look at their reputation, and their customers feedback.
Then, if you still don't see any thing you like, check out Jetlasers as ARG has said, they are a very reputable company, as many here will attest to.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG
Not trying to offend anyone here. Not questioning anyone's reputation nor credibility either. Just went to jetlaser and they too are out of the country. I just want to be sure that I will receive my laser if I order one. I would assume that a package, from any country, that has a laser company as the sender would be held by US Customs upon entry. Am I wrong in my assumption or are they clever with packaging? If you have personal experience ordering from them and have received your laser that would be helpful. Again, I am not trying to offend anyone nor be a jerk. Just want to buy a burning laser and move on with my life. Just came here and registered to get the best info possible from the experts. Yes, I consider you guys experts. My comment to ARG, about being from Canada, was due to the simple fact he is in Canada. I don't think that Canada would have as many restrictions as we would here in the US when it comes to allowing "certain items/packages" into the country. Case in point Cuban cigars. Am I being overly paranoid here? After reading the reasons not to buy from WL and reading the list of companies held by customs that you guys posted, it was pretty clear that it was tough to get a laser.

NO4H99

I wouldn't really worry about ordering from out of the country (I'd be cautious with China though - just for quality). I've received several lasers from out of the country. They are usually marked for customs as flashlights, star wars fan gear, ect. Its probably got a 95-99% chance of making it through customs. I'd personally like to suggest Sci-fi lasers. Its owned by a member (TheJoker301), and has excellent products and amazing customer service.

If you do want to go US though, As the other members have said already, many excellent builders sell from here. I'd personally like to suggest Sci-fi lasers. its owned by a member (TheJoker301), and has excellent products and amazing customer service.

As a side note, if you're looking to burn, you might want to steer clear of green. 532 lasers are excellent for visibility, but have more unstable outputs (except more expensive models). For burning, I'd start with a ≈200mw red or even purple. Just be sure to get the correct colored safety glasses. If you're dead set on burning wood, however, you'll need an ≈400-500mw focusable 405nm.

Last edited:

NO4H99

Thats a good laser (I have the same build in a lower power, but haven't used it yet since my safety glasses STILL haven't arrived). 2+ Watts a VERY high power though, especially for a first laser.

A 500 mw purple will be about the same price, a little bit safer, and will have plenty (although not quite as much) burning capabilities. It also will have a smaller (but much less visible) beam and can burn even white objects due to fluorescence. You may have to pm him for a quote, as it is not sold through his site - or you can look for other builds in the B/S/T section.

Last edited:
i recently ordered from Jetlasers. No problem with customs - marked as a flashlight and not inspected inside by customs. The product is great and customer service from Gray is SUPERB! He will answer all your questions promptly. Shipping time was incredible. Shipped from China on Monday and on my doorstep Wednesday.

N04H99, good point on the purple. The wood being burned is generally always curly maple. This wood is light in color with near white where the ribbons of the wood show. After a little thought about your comments purple may be the better choice.
Sleestak, thanks for the info. You ordering from Jetlaser and being from Oregon really helps. I will look into what they have to offer before I make my purchase. Lots of good feedback.

NO4H99

If you get the purple, there's a link in my signature for uvex goggles that work for that wavelength, and they're only $8.

NO4H99

Those specific goggles have been tested by several members to be sufficient for multiple watts of 445 or 405nm light.