Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying a laser here

I bought a laser and several members got up set because , me the buyer did so with out the proper glasses.
Well to help settle this . I could as a buyer just out and out lie to the seller.
How would he know??? If I had the goggles or not.? Do you see what I am saying. There could be a lot of people out there buy of the forums with out any safety knowledge at all.

I am not like this, and was up front with the seller.

Sorry for the upset I have lurked here for years, and I know the danger involved.
Thanks.

Blord

On this forum it is the sellers responsibility that the buyer know the dangers involved with lasers. That includes that the buyer has protective glasses. You could always lie your way out. We point out the dangers and risks. We can't do anything more.

It is always better to avoid the problems than repairing the damage. Which in case of lasers is very severe.

I agree. Was just pointing it out. There are no absolutes.
You and every one else knows that there are lasers slipping through the cracks every day.

Anyone can buy a 1 watt laser from a chines dealer, and get no protection.
This is no the same as here on the forum, where it is required.
Still you cant be sure that a buyer is being truthfully.

Good looking out.

I bought a laser and several members got up set because , me the buyer did so with out the proper glasses.
Well to help settle this . I could as a buyer just out and out lie to the seller.
How would he know??? If I had the goggles or not.? Do you see what I am saying. There could be a lot of people out there buy of the forums with out any safety knowledge at all.

I am not like this, and was up front with the seller.

Sorry for the upset I have lurked here for years, and I know the danger involved.
Thanks.

Just get an appropriate pair of Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

If you had "lurked here for years" you would have known that
this Safety conscious Forum community would come down on
your lack of Laser safety precautions...

There was no surprise as to the reactions...

Jerry

I agree. Was just pointing it out. There are no absolutes.
You and every one else knows that there are lasers slipping through the cracks every day.

Anyone can buy a 1 watt laser from a chines dealer, and get no protection.
This is no the same as here on the forum, where it is required.
Still you cant be sure that a buyer is being truthfully.

Good looking out.

Yes, you can be sure.

You ask for a picture of a piece of paper with your forum name on it, and the goggles. If you want to be real anal ask for a picture of your license with the goggles.

Better yet, include the goggles with your sale. All the seller has to do is roll the goggles price in with the laser.

There are no excuses why the seller cannot make sure the buyer has goggles. Other than stupidity, or just plain laziness.

Last edited:
Tbh it is not and should not be the sellers responsibility to check whether or not the buyer has a pair of googles. This is not a kindergarten! If the seller makes sure that the buyer understands the dangers and makes sure the buyer is of legal age then that should be enough imo. Its kind of like saying to someone they cant buy a gun without showing their bullet proof west. I am a firm believer in respect and knowledge when it comes to safety issues and it is, no matter how its twisted, my own responsibility to live up to these precautions. A pair of googles wont change stupid actions by stupid people. What about everybody elses eyes which is a much bigger issue if you ask me. Who cares if you blind yourself, but blinding someone else is an absolute horror scenario and no amount of glasses the buyer has will ever change that.

just my thought, not trying to start drama or anything, but a good discussion on the matter is not drama :fightin:

To me its just common sense to hand out some protection with an item that can harm you. I could not live with myself if someone got hurt by something I sold them just because I didnt at least give them some form of protection. Sure there is nothing that says they will use it, but that's on them, not me.

I think the bullet proof vest is the wrong analogy. I would include safety glasses with all gun sales though.

I agree with your POV TJ, but it should not be frowned upon if other sellers do not share that same view on the matter. I would never EVER sell a laser to someone < 18 years of age, and I would also make sure that I had done what I could to inform about the dangers involved. But what I would not do is to force the buyer to purchase a pair of googles from me. I would however strongly urge to aquire a pair if the buyer does not have any already.

EDIT: I didnt mean that other sellers should disregard safety alltogether in any way. I just think that information should be enough along with some sort of age validation.

Last edited:
Tbh it is not and should not be the sellers responsibility to check whether or not the buyer has a pair of googles. This is not a kindergarten! If the seller makes sure that the buyer understands the dangers and makes sure the buyer is of legal age then that should be enough imo. Its kind of like saying to someone they cant buy a gun without showing their bullet proof west. I am a firm believer in respect and knowledge when it comes to safety issues and it is, no matter how its twisted, my own responsibility to live up to these precautions. A pair of googles wont change stupid actions by stupid people. What about everybody elses eyes which is a much bigger issue if you ask me. Who cares if you blind yourself, but blinding someone else is an absolute horror scenario and no amount of glasses the buyer has will ever change that.

just my thought, not trying to start drama or anything, but a good discussion on the matter is not drama :fightin:

Really...............:thinking:
I assume you are speaking of age not knowledge...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/hey-i-am-jordan-14-years-old-73961.html#post1067864

How old are we?

Most younger members will not admit their true age...

As for the rest of your Post... I agree but we (the Forum
community) can be a voice of reason for those members
that think they have all the answers...

Jerry

Last edited:
No one is forced, or frowned upon. Yob sells lasers all the time with no goggles, and no one says anything. Other have sold lasers too without a word.

All we are trying to do is set a precedence. Some of us a stepping up, some still lagging behind. Hopefully everyone will jump on the train, but by the looks of some sellers here, it wont happen. But you can still hope.

Really...............:thinking:
I assume you are speaking of age not knowledge...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/hey-i-am-jordan-14-years-old-73961.html#post1067864

How old are we?

Most younger members will not admit their true age...

As for the rest of your Post... I agree but we (the Forum
community) can be a voice of reason for those members
that think they have all the answers...

Jerry

Jerry did you see how few actually joined in on that poll? And that other link... I never said there were no young people here, and that link is not representative because he actually seems like a young one with enough grey matter between the ears to not just go ME WANNA BURN STUFF :)

The majority of the members I have been in contact with so far are adults, or I must assume that they are when communicating with them, or maybe extremely gifted children. When I see younger people trying to buy powerful lasers here the warning sign gets raised and until now I have not seen anyone actually suceeding with a buy, but that it probably due to the fact that I do not see all salesthreads and what goes on in pm etc.

I got the impression that there was a lot of drama over this, and I did read the whole thread so I must have misunderstood the OP.

Anyways its nice to discuss this in an adult manner :beer: